The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

For those of us who did not receive post-season assignments we are faced with a long off-season until next fall. After completing my first year of officiating, I have found that there is much that I need to work on. What types of things should I be doing/thinking about in order to prepare myself for next season's high school leagues. Any advice would be great.

Thanks and good luck to all the post-seasoners.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 03:20pm
Suppref

Work....

Quote:
Originally posted by reffingrook82
For those of us who did not receive post-season assignments we are faced with a long off-season until next fall. After completing my first year of officiating, I have found that there is much that I need to work on. What types of things should I be doing/thinking about in order to prepare myself for next season's high school leagues. Any advice would be great.

Thanks and good luck to all the post-seasoners.
Congratulations on surviving your first season.
Read the rule book during the summer, work at least one summer league to stay sharp. Try not to get into bad habits while working these leagues. Always raise your hand to stop clock. when you cheat on a mechanic realise it so you don't carry it over into next season. And above all - - -have fun!!!
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

And quite a first season it was. I was thinking that one good thing I could do would be to go to an officiating camp this summer. I will be relocating to the Chicago area and I think it would be a good idea as far as making contacts and learning more about their leagues.

As far as a summer league goes, what are some of the better leagues to officiate. There are so many leagues out there and I don't want to end up officiating three-footers all summer long, they can't dunk!!
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 03:51pm
Suppref

Make some calls

Quote:
And quite a first season it was. I was thinking that one good thing I could do would be to go to an officiating camp this summer. I will be relocating to the Chicago area and I think it would be a good idea as far as making contacts and learning more about their leagues.

As far as a summer league goes, what are some of the better leagues to officiate. There are so many leagues out there and I don't want to end up officiating three-footers all summer long, they can't dunk!!
Call the local Parka dn recreation dept or the Ymca, they usually run some leagues for high schoolers and over 18. I'm in the northeast but there are some threds about camps. The IAABO website also has the sites of their camps. http://www.iaabo.org. Have fun - -
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Get hold of Bob Jenkins, Jeff Rutledge from this forum.
They are both in Chicago and can steer you.

Look down below under camps in Chicago

[Edited by mick on Mar 2nd, 2001 at 02:59 PM]
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up reffingrook82

I think you need to look me up. I moved to the Chicago area myself, and I know several assignors that need good officials all over the area of Chicago. I am going to several camps this summer and I could direct you to the ones that well be the best or the conferences that you want to work. This was my first full season and I really think I could help you with some people to contact. I also travel more than most too, so I have all kinds of connections with assigors. Send me an email and we can talk.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Congrats on making it through the first year! It is a good sign that you are looking forward to next year! Keep in shape through the off season, if you have a chance to call summer ball do it, but don't over do it! You need a break! What this does, it keeps you hungery to call the game. Read the rules, Practice your mechanics!

AK ref SE