The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

A2 gains control of a defensive rebound down low in the paint and both teams begin to move towards the other goal while A2 attempts to dribble between B2 and the baseline. In my opinion A2 doesn't have the required room to dribble through this space (about a foot and a half between B2 and the OOB line) and B2 has both arms straight above his head while he is back peddling, facing A2 and moving in the same direction. Contact is initiated by A2 with his shoulder and side up against B2, as he tries to 'wiggle' between B2 and the baseline. He manages to squeeze through and begins moving to A's front court. B2 never had any obvious pushing or shoving motion towards A2 like he was trying to force him OOB's or anything either, just maintaining his moving position in relation to A2.

Now with me Trailing, B2 begins complaining about my non-call on the blocking foul.

In my mind A2 has a right to his defensive spot even though he was moving. B2 actually initiated the contact by dribbling into A2 as well as by not having enough room to be making this move to begin with. Plus I didn't see any advantage/disadvantage gained or lost which was caused by the opposing players to one another.

So in the end, I wasn't going to bail him out of his bad decision of driving to where there was no room for him and if anything, wouldn't this be a PC on A2? Isn't this the same concept as a ball handler trying to split two defenders without adequate room to do so while being trapped?

And oh yeah... did I mention it was a IM game?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Somewhere in the first paragraph, A2 and B2 switched positions.
Seriously, tell B2 you'll explain it to him if he wants to call a timeout and ask you what you saw; but in the mean time he'd be better off if he focuses on playing rather than officiating.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

It's one of those 50/50 things where I normally opt for the non-call and "let them play" mentality. Being my first year I still struggle with where to draw the line at times. But I'm certain everyone here has had this sitch numerous times where A is going places he has no business going!
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Do remember that an offensive player with the ball isn't entitled to any space if the defender already holds it. Time and space are irrelevant

Not sure if thats applicable to your situation because I didn't quite envision your situation because of the switching of letters and such. But always good to remember.

Definetly doesn't sound like a block on B2, as you've said he established Legal Guarding position. Did A2 dribbling displace B2 at all? If not, I've got a no call.

You said no advantage gained so I think thats the right idea.

But if A2 did lower their shoulder into the torso of B2, even without displacement, you've got a PC I think. Brushing the shoulder is what it seems like though.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just because the shoulder drops doesn't mean you've got a foul. Without displacement or advantage, you've rarely got a foul.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I tell them every player is entitled to a spot on the floor as long as he got there first and got there legally.

End of discussion!
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

The rule about a dribbler moving between defenders or a defender and a boundary only puts the onus of contact on the dribbler, it does not say that ANY contact is a foul.

If you deem that B2 was not disadvantaged or displaced by the contact, than it was not a foul.