The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just gonna copy the story from the IM post and then follow through to see if I handled it right. Remember, HS rules.

During halftime of one of the games, Team A was dunking during their warmups. We hardly ever call this a tech, just tell them not to. So we warn them to stop. Two shots later, A1 dunks the ball and snaps the rim. My partner WHACKS him. Comes back to the table and while he is walking back A2 dunks it and snaps the rim! I take this one and whack him. Team B starts the half of the tie game with 4 free throws and the ball.

Now Team A had the AP arrow. Do they lose that AP arrow? What we did was switch possession arrow so Team B got the next jump ball and gave B the ball after the free throws. Correct?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradfordwilkins

Now Team A had the AP arrow. Do they lose that AP arrow? What we did was switch possession arrow so Team B got the next jump ball and gave B the ball after the free throws. Correct?
Nope. Remember, the AP arrow is for AP situations, such as held balls, "normal" beginnings of halfs and quarters, ball lodged on the rim, etc. In your case, the ball was taken out by B due to the T, not as a result of an AP situation. The arrow should've stayed with A.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nothing happens to the possession arrow. You will be administering T FTs first and giving the offended team the ball. The AP arrow will stay the same because you did not put the ball in play based on the arrow. You put the ball in play based on the technical.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Whoops! Good to know. Luckily a jump ball situation never occured but thats what we had decided had it happened.

Thanks
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 01:51am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Whoops! Good to know. Luckily a jump ball situation never occured but thats what we had decided had it happened.

Thanks
However an alternating possesion did occur at the start of the fourth quarter and the wrong team received the ball.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Nope, intramurals at UMD we run two 18-minute halves. So no 4th quarter hehe .
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just gonna copy the story from the IM post and then follow through to see if I handled it right. Remember, HS rules.

During halftime of one of the games, Team A was dunking during their warmups. We hardly ever call this a tech, just tell them not to. So we warn them to stop. Two shots later, A1 dunks the ball and snaps the rim. My partner WHACKS him. Comes back to the table and while he is walking back A2 dunks it and snaps the rim! I take this one and whack him. Team B starts the half of the tie game with 4 free throws and the ball.

Fouls don't change the arrow.