The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

here's a sitch I heard about from a fellow official -- officials are observing warmups prior to second half of the JV game....player dunks the ball...refs go to assess a T and find player is not in the book....because he's on the varsity team which plays after the JV game....what should you do? I'll tell you later what these officials did...
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Get him off the court ASAP. Hopefully his coach saw it and chewed on him a little bit. No T, IMO. Just get him off the court.

[Edited by tjones1 on Mar 3rd, 2005 at 05:34 PM]
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Well, He earned his T. Goes in the book and counts toward the team fouls. Since you now have to record the name in the book, if the change in the book after the 10min mark, we have another T.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:44pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Well, He earned his T. Goes in the book and counts toward the team fouls. Since you now have to record the name in the book, if the change in the book after the 10min mark, we have another T.
What if that player ineligble for the JV game (i.e. a senior)? Now you've got a problem putting him in the book. IMO, just get him off the court and inform his coach.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
In my mind, he has no affiliation with the game I am officiating. I walked into a gym, warm-up clock was running, teams weren't on the floor, saw varsity players dunking. I could't care any less, other than to ask them to stop.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

If he is doing warm-ups with the JV, then its a T. I don't think being ineligble has anything to do with the decission.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 06:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

I would knock him down, then pull his heart out through his throat.

Oh wait - that's not right. In this case, just tell him to get off the court, then buy him an ice cream soda.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

just an fyi, the game officials assessed 2 T's -- I would have just told the kid to leave the court, w/out penalty. He's not part of the current game, i.e. - not a team member or player
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

mdray: What were he 2 T's for, one for the dunk and one for adding him to the book?

Bart, so if a fan came out during halftime and dunked the ball while a team was warming up would you still give that fan a T and add them to the book. What if they are too old to be on the team (i.e. a dad 57 yrs old) does eligibility still not matter and if he is added to the book will he be allowed to play in the 2nd half of the game?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I'd probably let the coach take care of it. Make him aware of the situation and most would chew the kid out. Another option would be to have game management remove him. If he's not on the team playing, he's a fan on the floor. Have him removed. Also, could you assume he's an assistant coach since he's not in the book but clearly with the team? I know its a stretch, but this is an odd situation. I'd go with my first option of letting the coach handle it, but its always good to talk about other ways of handling things.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
mdray: What were he 2 T's for, one for the dunk and one for adding him to the book?
yes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Or you could just give the T to the bench. That way you would avoid the whole player not in the book issue.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

How

How could you give a T to the bench. The bench or players on the JV team did nothing wrong.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse

Bart, so if a fan came out during halftime and dunked the ball while a team was warming up would you still give that fan a T and add them to the book. What if they are too old to be on the team (i.e. a dad 57 yrs old) does eligibility still not matter and if he is added to the book will he be allowed to play in the 2nd half of the game?
Now you want to change the situation? This seems a little elementary to say, but, different situations call for different solutions. This would only happen in a sub. varsity game. Its best to teach the players and coaches early then have to deal with players trying to test the limits of the officials and the rules later, i.e. a varsity game. If you want to laugh about it and have players poking fun at you about how they did something they know better, then that is fine with me. Its easy to play Monday night quarterback, but these officials were on the court having to deal with something they don't need to deal with and they did the same thing I think I would have done. Put yourself in their shoes, they don't have time to go to the e-net or call the supervisor.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

There should not be a T.

Calling one is creating problems where none exist. Tell the player to knock it off.