The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Running out of bounds under the basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18873-running-out-bounds-under-basket.html)

Adam Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:26am

Frankly, I think they should just make this rule go away. Unless there's obvious intent to deceive (a player hiding in the crowd or at the concession stand only to return later for an easy score), I don't see how this rule really benefits the game.

assignmentmaker Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:35am

Be reasonable. Argue.

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I hope next year they make this a violation just like the NCAA. Then it could be called much more. A Technical is much too harsh for this. No different than the elbow throwing T that was changed to a simple violation.

Peace

Agree. Wondering though, how do you penalize the defense if they commit this infraction?

If someone does it to escape a 3 second violation, I call 3 seconds. The violation occured before the guy's foot set down out of bounds. Because I said so.

If someone takes two ugly steps along the baseline out of bounds on an inbounds play, I live with it. If they cross the lane, come in, gain an advantage like a wide open 3 - the oldest illegalinboundsplay in the book - I call the T.I'm not going to let them score, and chances are the coach has encouraged this, or, at least, is aware of it. If they don't gain an advantage, I mention it to both coaches, and all bets are then off.

It's allowed too much, the inbounds play, so there is an UNreasonable expectation that it's OK, and a genuine ignorance of the rule.

I couldn't agree more with whoever said these things should be changed to violations - a la the elbow thing. Too severe, thus under-if-ever enforced.

cloverdale Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:36am

its in the poe

called this twice this year...came on this forum and was shown that it is in this years poe...they want it called because of last years rule change requiring both feet on the court for LGP. agree that a vio would be better.

stmaryrams Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:48am

Quote:

Quote:

Agree. Wondering though, how do you penalize the defense if they commit this infraction?

That is a good question. But I think the defense penalizes themselves by not being able to cover an offensive player. But having said that the rule was created for an offensive player so they do not go around screens by going out of bounds. I have never seen a defender go deliberately off the court.

Peace

Had this situation this year, although it was a middle school game.

The most talented player on the floor by far ran OOB along the sideline to pass several players in his path and get to the player with the ball. Partner had that line and called the T.

It was clear he was gaining an advantage by running OOB and passing slower players in his path to the ball.

Of course, coach goes nuts! "I've never heard of such a thing, you've got to be kidding..."

stmaryrams Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Frankly, I think they should just make this rule go away. Unless there's obvious intent to deceive (a player hiding in the crowd or at the concession stand only to return later for an easy score), I don't see how this rule really benefits the game.
I've lost a partner in a the concession stand a few times.

Probably should be mixing in a salad!

assignmentmaker Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:35am

It happens

Quote:

Quote:

That is a good question. But I think the defense penalizes themselves by not being able to cover an offensive player. But having said that the rule was created for an offensive player so they do not go around screens by going out of bounds. I have never seen a defender go deliberately off the court.

Peace

It does happen that an offensive player (without the ball . . .) will run out of bounds to get around a defender who is set up on the baseline and that offensive player's defender will follow him/her in the out of bounds path.