The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I went through the NF case book, and could not find any guidelines on how to handle timing mistakes, e.i. clock started too soon, or too late, or not at all. Outside of rule 5-10 (definite knowledge of time, etc.), it would be helpful if the NF could give us guidelines on how to handle these situations. Timers are human also, and mistakes can and will occur. In equity, there should be a procedure that is consistant.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 12:08pm
M.A.S.H.

There are some in 5.10.1/2
However I agree, should make it clear. POE?!?!?!
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

A crew from my group had a situation this year where the timer said he accidently let 4 seconds run off of the clock after a violation. (The clock showed 45 seconds remaining) None of the 3 officials saw it happen, but the R made the decision that the clock operator was part of the crew....so after a brief discussion, the officials decided to put the time back on the clock.
Some in my association said that should not have been done becasue the rule book says that the referee must have "definite information". ......others argued that this allows potential for "home cooking".
The bottom line is that the case book says that the clock operator and score keeper may be used by the referee to gain definite knowledge in cases such as this......

Just curious as to how many would add time back based on the clock operator??? I'm not sure that I would...I guess it depends on the circumstances.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, they should define what an acceptable source for that definite information would be.