The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

The earlier thread had me wondering. In PA, players who are ejected for unsporting conduct, including receiving two technical fouls, are suspended for the following game. If a player has already fouled out with 5 personal fouls, can they still be ejected for subsequent unsporting conduct from the bench (2 technicals or a flagrant technical)? Has anyone ever had to deal with this situation?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

The answer is yes, the DQ'd player can still be charged with technical fouls while sitting on the bench. Fortunately, I have never had this be a problem in a game.

I have been in a situation where a player committed his fifth personal foul and before leaving the court was charged with a technical foul for his unacceptable reaction to the personal foul call. I think this is actually fairly common.

Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Currie,

What you have to understand about Nevada's post though is that the DQ'ed player for the 5th foul, for him/her to be ejected (I use that word to distinguish between a 5 foul DQ and an unsporting DQ) in our great state, must still either commit a flagrant act or two regular technicals. Until then, no report to the PIAA.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:33pm
M.A.S.H.

As stated in another thread, remember if the player is already DQ'd and you ring him up with a T or a flagrant T, it's also indirect to the coach (i.e. seat belt time) and towards the team's foul count.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The answer is yes, the DQ'd player can still be charged with technical fouls while sitting on the bench. Fortunately, I have never had this be a problem in a game.

I have been in a situation where a player committed his fifth personal foul and before leaving the court was charged with a technical foul for his unacceptable reaction to the personal foul call. I think this is actually fairly common.

I may be wrong and PLEASE correct me if I am but wouldn't that be charged indirectly to the coach? If you follow it by the book, you tell the coach first which then makes the DQ'd player Bench Personel! Thus any subsequent T's would be charged to the head coach.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

I may be wrong and PLEASE correct me if I am but wouldn't that be charged indirectly to the coach? If you follow it by the book, you tell the coach first which then makes the DQ'd player Bench Personel! Thus any subsequent T's would be charged to the head coach.
Yep! Indirect to the coach and toward the team's foul count.