Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_tortoise_ref
For some of us "hauling @ss" looks exactly like "freeze and follow".
That's funny!!
Yeah, it's hysterical. . . until you're actually at camp with Dan and you're going from C to C and you pass him while he's trying to get to the new Lead in transition. [/B]
C'mon now, I usually beat you to mid court...sometimes....once.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:47pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's funny!!
Yeah, it's hysterical. . . until you're actually at camp with Dan and you're going from C to C and you pass him while he's trying to get to the new Lead in transition. [/B]
I heard Dan would be quicker if he was only carrying one of his partners.
mick
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's funny!!
Yeah, it's hysterical. . . until you're actually at camp with Dan and you're going from C to C and you pass him while he's trying to get to the new Lead in transition.
mick [/B]
YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!!!
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's funny!!
Yeah, it's hysterical. . . until you're actually at camp with Dan and you're going from C to C and you pass him while he's trying to get to the new Lead in transition.
mick [/B]
Now THAT'S funny......
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Was at a BV game last night where the new lead tried to out-run a breakaway. He ran to the baseline and turned to find the offensive player on the ground and the defender with the ball. Missed a great hatchet job on an attempted layup.

Why the trail didn't make the call I don't know. Maybe he was blocked or didn't want to call in his partner's area. I know that's a call I make if I see it realizing that my partner is out of position.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Had a collision last year in a Boys frosh game. Running as new lead, looking back over my shoulder and glancing forward periodically. Player flares outside the arc and ends up right in my path. I end up on all fours with the whistle still in my mouth! Player didn't even hit the floor.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
QuebecRef, what school are you attending??
I'm attending Cégep de Trois-Rivières (college). Why do you want to know that?
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuebecRef87
Hey guys,

I almost always have this problem when I'm new Lead and play is coming fast from backcourt to frontcourt, on my side of the court. I can't run backwards, for obvious reasons. But here comes the dilemma: If I turn my head to look at the play, I may run into some kind of hazard and if I look straight once in a while, I may miss a foul or an OOB violation...

HELP!!! Do you have some tips you can share with the world? Thanks!
Take a look at what your primary is. Even in transition someone has off ball coverage and someone has on ball coverage. Most of the time in a quick transition the new lead has off ball coverage. Although the sideline you describe is your line, it is just like the line above FT line extended in the front court in a half court game... Lead often times (depends on associations and officials) has first shot at that. More often than not the new lead is not watvhing off ball and trying to watch the ball coming down the floor. If you are watching off ball in these situcations you'll find yourself refereeing the defense more on the and when there is a block charge you'll get it right more times because you reffed the D and not the guy with the ball.

What foul you going to miss that your partner watching on ball should not get? OOB? your partner helps and you keep going?

In a press the new lead helps out ffor traps but in a fast transition the trail has best view of most plays... lead should be in positon for the play to come to him or past him for the lay-up etc...
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Oh! And by the way JR, that's not really funny... Just in case you think you are.
No problem, QuebecRef. I just won't respond to any more of your posts. That way I won't offend you. Doesn't matter to me one way or t'other. Shrug.
I'm sorry God, this is all my fault... What, are you waiting for me to beg you?! Do as you wish and I'll deal with it one way or t'other.

Now go ahead and shoot me from the top of your mighty 6000 posts. "Shrug".
You could choose to not listen to JR and tell him to go ** off (which is what you have done). But then you would miss a bunch of good advice from an official with 30 + years experience simply because you have been highly offended (God, I bet anything upsets you if you are upset over this one)
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

Take a look at what your primary is. Even in transition someone has off ball coverage and someone has on ball coverage. Most of the time in a quick transition the new lead has off ball coverage. Although the sideline you describe is your line, it is just like the line above FT line extended in the front court in a half court game... Lead often times (depends on associations and officials) has first shot at that. More often than not the new lead is not watvhing off ball and trying to watch the ball coming down the floor. If you are watching off ball in these situcations you'll find yourself refereeing the defense more on the and when there is a block charge you'll get it right more times because you reffed the D and not the guy with the ball.

What foul you going to miss that your partner watching on ball should not get? OOB? your partner helps and you keep going?

In a press the new lead helps out ffor traps but in a fast transition the trail has best view of most plays... lead should be in positon for the play to come to him or past him for the lay-up etc...
Kelvin -- I'm lost. Completely. Could you try this again in more simple language? Pretend you're explaining to a coach....
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Cégep de Trois-Rivières
Did someone rearrange the keys on your keyboard while you weren't looking? Oh wait - it's French. I think it means snail appetizers!
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Cégep de Trois-Rivières
Did someone rearrange the keys on your keyboard while you weren't looking? Oh wait - it's French. I think it means snail appetizers!
I took 2 years of French (God forgive me) and I never heard of a French word Cegep. Maybe it's misspelled.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 08:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Cégep de Trois-Rivières
I took 2 years of French (God forgive me) and I never heard of a French word Cegep. Maybe it's misspelled.
Cegeps are similar to community colleges, I think, TM.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Oh! And by the way JR, that's not really funny... Just in case you think you are.
No problem, QuebecRef. I just won't respond to any more of your posts. That way I won't offend you. Doesn't matter to me one way or t'other. Shrug.
I'm sorry God, this is all my fault... What, are you waiting for me to beg you?! Do as you wish and I'll deal with it one way or t'other.

Now go ahead and shoot me from the top of your mighty 6000 posts. "Shrug".
You could choose to not listen to JR and tell him to go ** off (which is what you have done). But then you would miss a bunch of good advice from an official with 30 + years experience simply because you have been highly offended (God, I bet anything upsets you if you are upset over this one)
Don' get me wrong. I never said I was offended. JR's comment just didn't fit at all in the current thread (even if it was an advice from a 30+ years-experienced official... ). What upsets me, though, is that after that, he's expecting me to apologize when he just shot me for no obvious reason... probably sitting on the fact that he's well known among this community.

With that said, I'd love to hear some of JR's (real) advice. I just don't want look like I'm submissive or anything... And you all, as fellow officials, know that the image you send to others is very important!

Now, Jurassic, with all due respect, I don't think being experienced and well known gives you the right to shoot anyone for no reason.