The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

There's a great idea in another thread from an official who played for a coach in HS who would bring in an official to speak with his team each year. To be truthful, I've thought about doing the very same thing before. I'd not expect anyone to do this out of the goodness of their heart so what should I do in exchange for the time spent with my team? Gift certificate to a dining establishment? case of beer? cash? What would you expect in a similar situation?

Thanks, and as always, be kind.

coachgrd
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Of course, I would do it for free, but that just me. A basketball with your teams logo and names would be a nice gift or some kind of certificate.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

My suggestion would be to contact your local referee association, to make sure you get someone who knows what they are talking about, then an honorarium to the association would be appropriate.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

A polo shirt with an embroidered state athletic association LOGO.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Nothing. Consider it an opportunity to promote officiating, your association and yourself. I'd view it as an opportunity to reach potential future officials and impress them with my professionalism.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Other options:

1) A game fee

2) Invitation to the pizza party that follows

3) A promise by the coach that s/he won't misbehave in games this year

4) If you're giving out team t-shirts, give one to the ref.

5) A hearty handshake and a pat on the back

Whatever you do, make sure that the team members go up and thank the ref afterwards (not as a "formal / scripted" thank you, but as a spontaneous event).

Also, consider inviting / requiring the parents to attend.

Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Nothing. Consider it an opportunity to promote officiating, your association and yourself. I'd view it as an opportunity to reach potential future officials and impress them with my professionalism.
Forksref,
I don't think coachgrd would be comfortable offering "nothing".
It would seem a bit presumptive to ask an official to do that thing so that *the official would feel better*, eventhough the official may well do it for fun or due to some virtue.
mick
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I think nothing less than a statue in front of the school honoring all official-kind would be appropriate.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

My first thoughts were contact the local association for the speaker & offer a game fee, so I'll second those ideas.

I do like the statue suggestion. Maybe the statue can be an official holding the ball while standing tall with a thoughtful, watchful look and a squirrel by his side (wouldn't want to have Chuck feeling left out).
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I've done this in conjunction to working their inner-squad scrimmage. Afterwards we talked to the players and one particular coach made sure the parents were within hearing distance. I did this for 3 schools and was paid $20, $75 and one school gave us a bottle of water. Some of these kids have been playing in rec leagues for years where I ref and some of these parents have been downright idiots in the past. I can tell you that those schools were a joy to go back and officiate at this year.

I think this helps players and parents see that officials are real people and we actually do know what we're talking about. They have a better inderstanding of some of the stuff we're watching for. Also, we usually mention that for those that really love the game who will be finished playing after this season, officiating is a great way to stay involved with the game.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
Great idea, but I have enough problems with "Hey, I'm a ref and [blah blah blah I know the rules better than you blah blah]". Now, you have all the coaches and parents saying "Blah blah blah, I heard a ref speak for a hour so I know all the rules better than you blah blah." A little information is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. Plus, you have "But this ref said...". I'm not against coaches knowing the rules, I'm against giving that sort of validation and authority to people who aren't looking to use it properly.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyGonGoalie
Great idea, but I have enough problems with "Hey, I'm a ref and [blah blah blah I know the rules better than you blah blah]". Now, you have all the coaches and parents saying "Blah blah blah, I heard a ref speak for a hour so I know all the rules better than you blah blah." A little information is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. Plus, you have "But this ref said...". I'm not against coaches knowing the rules, I'm against giving that sort of validation and authority to people who aren't looking to use it properly.
While I certainly respect your opinion, I think the positives out-weigh the negatives with this. JMO
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with your concept, everyone should not have a drivers license.

Myself, I wouldn't do this for ALL schools/coaches. I went to schools that I fully understood the coaches motives. Also, I never set any fee, they paid what they were able and that's fine with me.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
SpeedyGonGoalie,
We put our knowledge on the block every game.
We deal with your suggested "blah, blah" every game.

What's the difference? The environment, ... as a protagonist in an educational, close and non-confrontational setting.
mick

Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

It would depend entirely on where they are coming from and what they could be giving up that night (playoffs, job considerations). I would think you should at the very least pay the gas mileage and wear and tear on their car. You could pay them close to a game fee as well. I think it really depends on what they are expected to do. There really is not one answer that fits. I think you have to decide what the talk is worth to you. I know we have given officials a few hundred dollars just to speak to a bunch of official. One official gave back the entire check and donated it back to our association. It is all about what you feel is worth the while of the person speaking, regardless of whom that person is and what profession they come from.

Peace