The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

For some volunteer work, I ref for the CYO elemtary school league. I've done it for the past 4 years. As I'm the only "patched" official there I usually get my choice of the prime games.

Yesterday, I was working the championship games, with another ref, not too experienced but he put forward a ton of effort and made some great calls.

Now both teams are carrying the ball a lot, and I mean a lot, we made more calls for carrying in this game then I ever remember doing.

Coach A is a very good coach. He's been coaching in this league for at least 4 years, that's when I started and he's also a coach in our version of the AAU. We've had our run-ins in the past I think over all the games I've had this guy in I've T'd him up about 4 or 5 times. I didn't think he was capable of changing but I guess I was wrong.

Near the end of the 3rd quarter, my partner (trail) calls a carry right infront of the bench. It was a good call, the ball carrier definately carried the ball. But the coach didn't think so, he starts getting on my partners back, so I walk over to administer the throw in, make eye contact with the coach, as he's giving my partner a hard time. He immediately shuts up, in mid sentence. It was just an awesome experience, I've never been able to get a coach to stop complaining about a calls without saying a word or putting up a stop sign.

I guess it raised my confidence level a bit, but it was so uncharacteristic for this coach that my table crew, whom've all dealt with this guy before, just start laughing. They said they've never seen anyone who was able to get this guy to shut up.

Well, I hope that this "look" I gave him can be duplicated, because I really hope I can use it successfully again.

That was the highlite of my weekend.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

If you can teach others the look, you may have a great market for parents with teenagers.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
If you can teach others the look, you may have a great market for parents with teenagers.
Considering I'm still a teenager, I think the big market for me would be teenagers with parents
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 08:55pm
M.A.S.H.

...check...

ref18,

check the General forum section out!
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 09:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Now both teams are carrying the ball a lot, and I mean a lot, we made more calls for carrying in this game then I ever remember doing.

The other night in a boys JV game team A point guard had some action that looked like something from Streetball. Ball changes direction while in his hand, sometimes twice, etc. I called a carry on him 2 or 3 times and each time he looked at his coach in disbelief. Finally the coach said, "Don't worry about it. Nobody calls that but him. In 45 games this year I've seen that call 3 times and he called all 3 of them." mumble, mumble, mumble.........
So are ref18 and I the only two? The carrying and traveling continue to escalate at what I consider an alarming rate, apparently with some officials blessing. Some seem to think the more skilled the player, the more he should be allowed to do in excess of frivolous boundaries like rules. I have people asking for a carry in a 9-10 year old game, but when the player in a boys varsity does the exact same thing and you do call it, fans there are upset. We study the books and learn the rules but the phrase "You just don't call that," seems to ring more and more often in my ears.

Thanks. As usual, I feel better now.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 09:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Well, I hope that this "look" I gave him can be duplicated, because I really hope I can use it successfully again.
Mine is patented.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:

The other night in a boys JV game team A point guard had some action that looked like something from Streetball. Ball changes direction while in his hand, sometimes twice, etc. I called a carry on him 2 or 3 times and each time he looked at his coach in disbelief. Finally the coach said, "Don't worry about it. Nobody calls that but him. In 45 games this year I've seen that call 3 times and he called all 3 of them." mumble, mumble, mumble.........
So are ref18 and I the only two? The carrying and traveling continue to escalate at what I consider an alarming rate, apparently with some officials blessing. Some seem to think the more skilled the player, the more he should be allowed to do in excess of frivolous boundaries like rules. I have people asking for a carry in a 9-10 year old game, but when the player in a boys varsity does the exact same thing and you do call it, fans there are upset. We study the books and learn the rules but the phrase "You just don't call that," seems to ring more and more often in my ears.

Thanks. As usual, I feel better now.
JAR, I agree completely, and at our association meeting last night, carrying the ball was a point of emphasis, and we spent a good chunk of time discussing it.