The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pass to yourself (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18676-pass-yourself.html)

Illini_Ref Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:27pm

I know that the NBA marches to its own beat when it comes to rules enforcement, but Vince Carter's pass off of the board to himself isn't legal is it? Unless the official rules a "try", you couldn't retrieve this ball could you?

Am I right or wrong here? I know that the opponents board is treated like the floor, but not your own board. In that case, unless it is a "try", then if you throw the ball off of the board, it has to touch the ground before you can get it right? And even then, you could only do that if you had a dribble left.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Illini_Ref
I know that the NBA marches to its own beat when it comes to rules enforcement, but Vince Carter's pass off of the board to himself isn't legal is it? Unless the official rules a "try", you couldn't retrieve this ball could you?

Am I right or wrong here? I know that the opponents board is treated like the floor, but not your own board. In that case, unless it is a "try", then if you throw the ball off of the board, it has to touch the ground before you can get it right? And even then, you could only do that if you had a dribble left.

It is always legal at every level to throw the ball off your own board, recover it, then start a dribble.

stick Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:42pm

Quote:

If someone attempts a legit shot, let's say it's an airball and he or she is quick enough to run it down and grab it before anyone else does, that's legal. Other than in the NBA what Vince Carter did yesterday is not legal. I gotta admit however, IT WAS SWEET!!

Illini_Ref Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50pm

Thanks Stick, I thought so too, just wanted a second opinion. BTW, I agree, it was a thing of beauty.

Camron, you cannot throw the ball off of your own board to start a dribble, only the opponents. Also, in the situation from the NBA, the player was dribbling when he threw the ball off of the board, so when he threw the ball he ended his dribble.

Now, if you catch a pass, throw the ball off of your own board (not a try), can you recover it. I don't think so, until it hits the ground. Otherwise you would be touching the ball twice before it hits the ground. Pretty sure there is a case in the case book about that. (NFHS)

bob jenkins Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stick
[B]
Quote:

Other than in the NBA what Vince Carter did yesterday is not legal.
Reference, please. As I read the play (I didn't see it), it was legal at all levels.

Illini_Ref Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:54pm

Bob,

if it is legal to throw the ball off of your own board (not a try) and recover it, why is it not legal to throw the ball over the top of a defender, run around him and catch it before it hits the floor? I can't find a rules difference.

In the NBA play the player dribbled downcourt, threw the ball of of his board (obviously not a try) and slammed it through the basket. Since his own board cannot constitute a dribble, how is this legal?

rainmaker Mon Feb 21, 2005 01:00pm

Quote:

Bob,

if it is legal to throw the ball off of your own board (not a try) and recover it, why is it not legal to throw the ball over the top of a defender, run around him and catch it before it hits the floor? I can't find a rules difference.

In the NBA play the player dribbled downcourt, threw the ball of of his board (obviously not a try) and slammed it through the basket. Since his own board cannot constitute a dribble, how is this legal?

At least in NFHS you can't throw the ball off your own board without it being a try. It's always a try by definition.

Illini_Ref Mon Feb 21, 2005 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

At least in NFHS you can't throw the ball off your own board without it being a try. It's always a try by definition. [/B]
Reference please. Not doubting, just wanting a reference.

blindzebra Mon Feb 21, 2005 01:57pm

Quote:

Bob,

Because it DID NOT hit the floor.

If you have not dribbled or are dribbling you can throw/bat the ball over the defender and let it bounce and continue dribbling. You cannot throw/bat it over and catch it BEFORE it hits the floor, that's an illegal dribble.

Snake~eyes Mon Feb 21, 2005 02:30pm

Are you talking about the all star game? Nothing is illegal in that game.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 21, 2005 02:47pm

Quote:

Bob,

See some case in Rule 2 -- ball location, I think.

See also the specific AR in the NCAA rules that, I'm guessing, is the exact play (A1 throws the ball off of his backboard, jumps, gathers the ball and dunks).

Illini_Ref Mon Feb 21, 2005 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Bob,

If you have not dribbled or are dribbling you can throw/bat the ball over the defender and let it bounce and continue dribbling. You cannot throw/bat it over and catch it BEFORE it hits the floor, that's an illegal dribble.

I know that. The problem is that the ball DID NOT touch the floor in either of the examples I listed above. Running around the defender and catching the ball should be the same as throwing off of your backboard (no try) and catching the ball.

blindzebra Mon Feb 21, 2005 04:37pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Bob,

I know that. The problem is that the ball DID NOT touch the floor in either of the examples I listed above. Running around the defender and catching the ball should be the same as throwing off of your backboard (no try) and catching the ball.

Your backboard is part of the floor, but it is not considered a dribble when the ball strikes your backboard, any ball that strikes it ends player control just like a shot.

BktBallRef Mon Feb 21, 2005 06:35pm

If the "search" feature worked.....:mad:

...we could just link all the previous threads were we've spent a couple of days to prove to doubters that this is legal.

But since we can't, perhaps the doubters can point us to the rule that says you can't throw the ball off your own backboard and retrieve it. I'm dying to read the references. :(

Illini_Ref Tue Feb 22, 2005 07:57am

I found it in the book. I agree that it is legal. Thanks for the input guys.