The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Can anyone tell me what your local association does in terms of training/workshops/camps/rules meetings, etc. for your officials? These would be intiated by your local association and would be above and beyond what your state requires. Also, if any are required and how it affects the officials' membership status.

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Can anyone tell me what your local association does in terms of training/workshops/camps/rules meetings, etc. for your officials? These would be intiated by your local association and would be above and beyond what your state requires. Also, if any are required and how it affects the officials' membership status.

Thanks
Our local association meets weekly starting four weeks before the season begins.

Memebership are required to attend 80 percent of the meetings. New members are also required to attend at least one of several on-court training opportunities that we set up with the local schools for evaluations etc.,

We usually meet together for 15 -20 minutes, then we divide our veteran guys and the new guys (who will mostly work jhigh and freshman games) because they need more of the basic rules while the veterans will discuss more of the interpretation type rules etc., Entire meeting last about an hour.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

My association starts meeting in September and meets monthly through March. We also have a mandatory Rules Clinic in October. You must attend 5 of the first 7 meetings to be playoff elegible. We also split up into discussion groups at the meetings.

New officials also have weekly meetings starting in August for 8 consecutive weeks where they go over the rules, mechanics, floor positioning, etc. Officials with less than three years experience are encourage to attend a camp in June that is free (one of the local HS lets us use their summer league games). Officials with more than three years can go to the camp...newer officials just get priority when it comes to the games.

We also sponsor a camp in August the concentrates on three-man. They bring in about 20 teams from area schools. In the past, the skill level of the teams varied so officials at all levels could attend. It was a good way for the "powers that be" in the chapter to see if an official was ready for certain types of games when it counted.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

We started every meeting this year with a "New Officials" meeting which lasted a half hour. The topics were very basic in the meeting and dealt with things that were very basic in nature. Topics like "How to get games, Moving up, Looking the part, Being Patient."

Then our regular meetings consisted of rules presentations and mechanics discussions. We had about 7 meetings until the season started. We also have a mentor program to help younger officials get evaluated by officials that have achieved either varsity ball or college ball. We have a wrap up meeting at the end of the season and banquet. Now this is the official's association that I am the vice-president of that I am referencing.

I belong to some other groups and they do similar things. They all try to do things that help younger officials. Some have a session specific for newer officials, others do not. It is common for associations to cover specific rules and mechanics.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to Larry, David, and JR!!

That's exactly the info that I want to share with our association.