View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

My association starts meeting in September and meets monthly through March. We also have a mandatory Rules Clinic in October. You must attend 5 of the first 7 meetings to be playoff elegible. We also split up into discussion groups at the meetings.

New officials also have weekly meetings starting in August for 8 consecutive weeks where they go over the rules, mechanics, floor positioning, etc. Officials with less than three years experience are encourage to attend a camp in June that is free (one of the local HS lets us use their summer league games). Officials with more than three years can go to the camp...newer officials just get priority when it comes to the games.

We also sponsor a camp in August the concentrates on three-man. They bring in about 20 teams from area schools. In the past, the skill level of the teams varied so officials at all levels could attend. It was a good way for the "powers that be" in the chapter to see if an official was ready for certain types of games when it counted.