The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 03:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

A while ago, I posted info about a coach who complained about the other team "sloshing". No one here (including me) had any clue as to what he meant.

Yesterday, I ran into a ref with about 300 years of experience (OK, it just seems that way). He said he heard the term once or twice many years ago and he thought the coach meant the other team was setting illegal screens. Based on when the coach said it in my game, and it's context at the time, it made sense.

I asked him the relevance of the word "sloshing" to mean that, and he just shrugged.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 04:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Seems a lot easier just to say illegal screens. Maybe these coaches think "sloshing" is in the rule book. Just like reaching in and over the back.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
A while ago, I posted info about a coach who complained about the other team "sloshing". No one here (including me) had any clue as to what he meant.

Yesterday, I ran into a ref with about 300 years of experience (OK, it just seems that way). He said he heard the term once or twice many years ago and he thought the coach meant the other team was setting illegal screens. Based on when the coach said it in my game, and it's context at the time, it made sense.

I asked him the relevance of the word "sloshing" to mean that, and he just shrugged.
It sort of makes a picture. Think of a glass of water on a tray, the water will "lean" to one side and then the other, and we call it sloshing. That's like what a screener might try to get away with. The real question is whether it's PC to use that term.