The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Thumbs up

Today, I traveled with my school for a Jr. Beta District Day. When we arrived at the school about 2 hours away, the event was held in their gym. When we get in the gym, the entire thing is carpeted. I've never seen this before in my life. Is the legal, Im sure it is if they have it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Today, I traveled with my school for a Jr. Beta District Day. When we arrived at the school about 2 hours away, the event was held in their gym. When we get in the gym, the entire thing is carpeted. I've never seen this before in my life. Is the legal, Im sure it is if they have it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
I've officiated recball in Gyms with carpet before.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:14pm
M.A.S.H.

Haven't seen carpet (yet), however I've seen tile floors that were used and needed repaired.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen it all.

The rubberized stuff, tile, the pebbled rubber tile, and carpet.

You will usually see this stuff in the caffegymatoriums.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I used to play pickup ball at a church that had carpet in their gym. It was pretty thin and pulled tight. Once you got used to it, it wasn't so bad. The hardest thing to get used to was the different sound when the ball bounced. Oh, and floor burns were a whole lot worse.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

When I was in middle school, one of our opponents had a carpet floor. Our coach considered buying the whole team long pants to play that game because of all the floor burns.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My church has carpet in our gym. I remember the first time I played on carpet, I thought it was crazy. But the carpet in our church gym is better suited for basketball. It's actually not that bad, after you get used to it.
Of course, the sound is different, and there are those blasted carpet burns. I've never actually officiated on a rug, though.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Couple of schools in my area have carpeted floors. My knees started hurting as soon as I walked on the court

The game does seem "quieter" because of the lack of noise coming from the players. Just don't fall while you're running or you will feel it in the morning :P

Don't even get me started about a waffle court that I once had a game on.... (worst surface ever)
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked and played on carpet before. I don't like it. When you get tired, it has a tendency to grab your feet. Rug burns can be ugly too. And don't ever backpedal on it.

We've got one gym here where our association assigns that has a kind of rubber surface. The league director swears that this surface is mandated for all international competition now. I couldn't find anything online about it, so maybe he's wrong about this. But it was a good surface to work on. Felt strange not being on hardwood though.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 07:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Friends Don't Let Friends Do Rugs.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The league director swears that this surface is mandated for all international competition now.
Did he say what type of international competition? I know volleyball is played on a rubbery surface at the top levels because it gives a better grip for the players' shoes.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I played on a carpet but never reffed on one although a guy who refs D-II ball around here refs with a rug on his head.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Could be a nifty incentive to prevent floping....
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The league director swears that this surface is mandated for all international competition now.
Did he say what type of international competition? I know volleyball is played on a rubbery surface at the top levels because it gives a better grip for the players' shoes.
He indicated that it was for basketball.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

We have one middle school that has the carpet. Sounds different but works rather well otherwise. It is a private school, I'm glad that they finally were able to raise enough money to replace the old shag carpet from the 70's though!!!