The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I know I should be able to find this, but just a little lazy right now.

Anyway, how is a pre-game warm-up dunking technical penelized per NCAA? Tech to the player (direct or indirect?), Player foul count (add one towards DQ or not?), Team foul count (add towards bonus or not?), and affect on coach?

Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
It's an indirect T on the player. Doesn't count towards 5 for DQ or towards 7/10 for bonus.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
It's an indirect T on the player. Doesn't count towards 5 for DQ or towards 7/10 for bonus.
I thought that a T counted as a personal. Or is NCAA different than NFHS?
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
I thought that a T counted as a personal. Or is NCAA different than NFHS?
A T is never counted as a personal. It might count as one of the 5 fouls (total) toward DQ.

In NCAA, only direct Ts count toward this. Pregame dinkng is an indirect T. The NCAA definition of Direct and Indirect Ts is different from the FED's definition.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A T is never counted as a personal. It might count as one of the 5 fouls (total) toward DQ.
That's what I meant. If you were keeping the book (in NFHS) you would mark off one technical foul and one of the five fouls for DQ.

I still am not sure about the second question. (Would it count for one of the team fouls for that half.) NFHS 4-8-2 "...Player-control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus..." Does the half not start until the clock runs. What if the coach gets a T during half time? Does that not count toward the team fouls for the 2nd half?
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
The original poster asked about how things worked under NCAA rules. An indirect T doesn't count towards the bonus under NCAA rules.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gostars
Quote:
I still am not sure about the second question. (Would it count for one of the team fouls for that half.) NFHS 4-8-2 "...Player-control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus..." Does the half not start until the clock runs. What if the coach gets a T during half time? Does that not count toward the team fouls for the 2nd half?
The second half starts as soon as the first half ends. So, if the coach gets a direct T at halftime, that does count toward the bonus for the second half. (Indirect Ts never count toward the bonus in NCAA.)