The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pre-game dunking foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18637-pre-game-dunking-foul.html)

BoomerSooner Sat Feb 19, 2005 05:07pm

I know I should be able to find this, but just a little lazy right now.

Anyway, how is a pre-game warm-up dunking technical penelized per NCAA? Tech to the player (direct or indirect?), Player foul count (add one towards DQ or not?), Team foul count (add towards bonus or not?), and affect on coach?

Lotto Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:10pm

It's an indirect T on the player. Doesn't count towards 5 for DQ or towards 7/10 for bonus.

gostars Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Lotto
It's an indirect T on the player. Doesn't count towards 5 for DQ or towards 7/10 for bonus.
I thought that a T counted as a personal. Or is NCAA different than NFHS?

bob jenkins Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
Quote:

Originally posted by Lotto
I thought that a T counted as a personal. Or is NCAA different than NFHS?

A T is never counted as a personal. It might count as one of the 5 fouls (total) toward DQ.

In NCAA, only direct Ts count toward this. Pregame dinkng is an indirect T. The NCAA definition of Direct and Indirect Ts is different from the FED's definition.

gostars Sun Feb 20, 2005 06:34pm

Quote:

A T is never counted as a personal. It might count as one of the 5 fouls (total) toward DQ.

That's what I meant. If you were keeping the book (in NFHS) you would mark off one technical foul and one of the five fouls for DQ.

I still am not sure about the second question. (Would it count for one of the team fouls for that half.) NFHS 4-8-2 "...Player-control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus..." Does the half not start until the clock runs. What if the coach gets a T during half time? Does that not count toward the team fouls for the 2nd half?

Lotto Sun Feb 20, 2005 07:35pm

The original poster asked about how things worked under NCAA rules. An indirect T doesn't count towards the bonus under NCAA rules.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 21, 2005 08:42am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gostars
Quote:

I still am not sure about the second question. (Would it count for one of the team fouls for that half.) NFHS 4-8-2 "...Player-control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus..." Does the half not start until the clock runs. What if the coach gets a T during half time? Does that not count toward the team fouls for the 2nd half?
The second half starts as soon as the first half ends. So, if the coach gets a direct T at halftime, that does count toward the bonus for the second half. (Indirect Ts never count toward the bonus in NCAA.)