The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Rule 3-5-3
"Equipment shall not be modified from its' original manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it to be worn."

Headbands have been a topic of discussion here before...but maybe it will be a slow day...so here goes.

Had a District playoff game last night out of my association's normal assigning area.
In other words...I was in someone else's house.
3-whistle crew...I was U1...observing players during warm-ups. I noticed a player had his cloth headband around his neck. I walked over to the R, who BTW is a very good official from his association and has gone to state several times, and said, "Hey, Moses...what's your thoughts on this dude with the headband around his neck?"
He said, "No rule against it, he can wear it anywhere he wants." I said, "OK" and walked back to my spot.
(I didn't see the player wear the headband that way during the game...so it wasn't really an issue)

We will be working another district game tonight...in my neck of the woods.
I'm the R...headbands a pre-game topic?

Man...pretty sad when all I can think of his headbands to talk about.

I re-read my post...just to clarify...I will be working with Moses (last night's R) tonight...we get along good from past tournaments...maybe I will have a little fun with him in the pre-game.

[Edited by RookieDude on Feb 18th, 2005 at 09:59 AM]
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Rule 3-5-3
"Equipment shall not be modified from its' original manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it to be worn."

Headbands have been a topic of discussion here before...but maybe it will be a slow day...so here goes.

Had a District playoff game last night out of my association's normal assigning area.
In other words...I was in someone else's house.
3-whistle crew...I was U1...observing players during warm-ups. I noticed a player had his cloth headband around his neck. I walked over to the R, who BTW is a very good official from his association and has gone to state several times, and said, "Hey, Moses...what's your thoughts on this dude with the headband around his neck?"
He said, "No rule against it, he can wear it anywhere he wants." I said, "OK" and walked back to my spot.
(I didn't see the player wear the headband that way during the game...so it wasn't really an issue)

We will be working another district game tonight...in my neck of the woods.
I'm the R...headbands a pre-game topic?

Man...pretty sad when all I can think of his headbands to talk about.

I re-read my post...just to clarify...I will be working with Moses (last night's R) tonight...we get along good from past tournaments...maybe I will have a little fun with him in the pre-game.
I'd say, "Around here, it's interpreted that they're not legal, even in warm-ups."

Or is that too pissy of me?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

I would approach the coach (or even the kid) and ask him if the kid plans to wear it appropriately during the game, and if so, then I wouldn't bother unless it isn't worn appropriately when he comes on the floor during the game. I had the same situation where girls were wearing prewrap around their neck, and told me they planned to wear them as headbands (to hold their hair in place). My partner and I agreed to let it go unless they stepped on the floor with it still around their necks.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'd say, "Around here, it's interpreted that they're not legal, even in warm-ups."

Or is that too pissy of me?
Maybe. I'd just say, "Looks like a fuzzy necklace to me". Headbands are legal. Neckbands aren't.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 12:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I would approach the coach (or even the kid) and ask him if the kid plans to wear it appropriately during the game, and if so, then I wouldn't bother unless it isn't worn appropriately when he comes on the floor during the game. I had the same situation where girls were wearing prewrap around their neck, and told me they planned to wear them as headbands (to hold their hair in place). My partner and I agreed to let it go unless they stepped on the floor with it still around their necks.
Prewrap is not legal to wear, even during warm-ups.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 12:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
It is under NCAAW rules...
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Quote:
It is under NCAAW rules...
I stand corrected for NCAAW rules.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Even around the hair? Well, maybe not, but it's pretty hard to tell the difference between pre-wrap and a bona fide narrow headband. I don't check.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Even around the hair? Well, maybe not, but it's pretty hard to tell the difference between pre-wrap and a bona fide narrow headband. I don't check.
Even around the hair.

The only exceptions to the "headwear" rule in FED rules are actual headbands that meet the written specifications of the exception and rubber/cloth(elastic) bands.

I don't think that it's a biggie, but until the NFHS lists prewrap under the exceptions......
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to use something along the lines of what rainmaker and Chuck said...

"Around here it looks like a fuzzy necklace." yea, I like that.

I'll say it with a smile and go easy with the "pissy" attitude.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to myersca
Exclamation May be legal, but dangerous...

The headband around the neck may technically be legal, but it's not safe. If someone grabbed that neck band, he could be choked, whiplashed, etc.

Why not use preventive officiating and tell him it has to be around his head or not at all during warm ups...that way you wont have to stop play during the game to tell him, and you will avoid any conflict.

That's how I'd do it anyways.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

What is prewrap???
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
What is prewrap???

A musical style from the late 80's - after funk, but before P. Diddy.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
What is prewrap???

A musical style from the late 80's - after funk, but before P. Diddy.

Good one!
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 05:01pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Question

If prewrap rolled is not considered permitted headgear, what can I allow for girls to keep their hair in place? I'm not the only one that allows it. Heck, some of the upper level varsity officials here allow it as well. I'd rather prewrap than a bandana or a sweatband worn around the back part of the head where it could be more dangerous than it's "normal" place.

By the way, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's that elastic thing that goes on before athletic tape.