The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone every attended an IAABO run summer camp? Was looking for a place to go this summer and was just wondering if it was worth my time. 7 year official who works boys varsity in a good basketball area. Looking to possible move on to higher levels in the future. Any advice?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Last year I attended IAABO 3-person camp in Disney World. It was the AAU nationals (17 & under). Excellent camp and great games. It was well worth the money.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
There's an IAABO camp in Boston every summer. About five guys from my board attended last year. They said it was very good.

Dan, would Edgar's camp be a good fit for this official?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:23pm
Huck Finn

{I raise my hand}

How does going to an IAABO camp help you if you want to move up besides a small amount of networking. I have had this question for a while since I'm in an IAABO area now but my officiating career was not "born" in an IAABO area. My thinking is the networking done at the IAABO camp could be done at a certain assigner's camp or another camp that he is sure to be at. I'm not trying to be funny, I really want to know.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
{I raise my hand}

How does going to an IAABO camp help you if you want to move up besides a small amount of networking. I have had this question for a while since I'm in an IAABO area now but my officiating career was not "born" in an IAABO area. My thinking is the networking done at the IAABO camp could be done at a certain assigner's camp or another camp that he is sure to be at. I'm not trying to be funny, I really want to know.

IAABO Camps are true teaching camps. They do not exist so that a camper can be seen by a college conference supervisor. The exist to educate officials to become better officials.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:08pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
{I raise my hand}

IAABO Camps are true teaching camps. They do not exist so that a camper can be seen by a college conference supervisor. The exist to educate officials to become better officials.

MTD, Sr.
I can understand that Mark. What I can't understand is someone going to this camp that is trying to move up. I know some guys, that I have asked about it, that go to this camp and they are trying to move up. I don't understand that.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
{I raise my hand}

MTD, Sr.
I can understand that Mark. What I can't understand is someone going to this camp that is trying to move up. I know some guys, that I have asked about it, that go to this camp and they are trying to move up. I don't understand that.

You are going to have to ask them that question. But I would all officials want to move up, and one of the best ways to move up is to improve as an official.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
{I raise my hand}

MTD, Sr.
IAABO is a recognized name in officiating. If what is said is true, I will come out a noticeably better official on the court. Second, we have applications to officiate certain leagues in this area. Attending an IAABO camp would be a strong positive on those applications.

To "move up", you not only have to be seen, but you have to be good. This camp helps you with one of those two.

I'll end with the obligatory, IMHO.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:29pm
Huck Finn

In my last post move up was meant as moving up to college.

Off Topic: It is funny you mention all officials wanting to improve. I have seen a slight decline in some of my games. Some guys want to mail it in right now and I want to continue to push for the best. I did have a good game the other night where we had a good open dialogue after the game and it was beneficial. Some guys think they get to a certain place and aren't evaluated. I throw up the BS flag on that one since we will always be evaluated. The NBA still evaluates and those guys have to pay $ for mistakes.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Any other camps in the northeast you may reccommend?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

MTD -

Can you recommend a camp in OH? I'm a third year who just took my class 1 test. I am still looking on just improving my game not "moving up" other than to fill in an occasional varsity game.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Camps

Quote:
Originally posted by LongIslandZebra
I believe the assignor for the Northeast Conference will be at the IAABO Camp (AAU Nationals) at Disney World if they have go there this year.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Edgar Cartotto(sp) Northeast assignor was at the Disney last year. He normally comes down every year for a couple of days.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LongIslandZebra
The Referee School at Boston College was the best camp I ever attended. Girls varsity teams. A good balance of classroom time and court time. (Can be hot in June and July;the food was excellent.) No video taping.

IAABO Camp at URI last summer was next best camp (Boys HS varsity teams.) Good classromm work. All of the courts but one had the table under the basket a la AAU tournaments which made for poor table mechanics practice. We also did some three man. Video taping.

Did a referee camp in Vermont at UVM two summers ago. Plenty of court time but no classroom instruction to speak of. There you work games with veteran officials, some of them can dominate you and the game. Video taping.

If I could only go to one camp it would be the Referee School at Boston College

[Edited by jdccpa on Feb 18th, 2005 at 12:15 PM]
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa
IAABO Camp at Rodger Williams College last summer was next best camp (Boys HS varsity teams.)
Was that Hoop Mountain? I know Hoop Mountain is held at Roger Williams now, but it's not an IAABO camp. I didn't think IAABO did camps in Boston and Rhode Island.