The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I am a coach in a rec league coaching 17-18 year old boys team. I need a claification on when a team can call a timeout. I know you can call a timeout when you have possesion of the ball, or during a dead ball situation. If team A scores a basket, when can team A call a timeout? Also, if team A makes a free throw (second of two shoots), when can team A call a timeout. Is it up until Team B inbounds the ball, or until the ball is at team B's disposal to inbound the ball. We are playing games according to the NFHS rules. Thanks for your help
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

SECTION 8 TIME-OUT, STOPPING PLAY
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:
ART. 1 . . . Signals:

a. A foul.
b. A held ball.
c. A violation.

ART. 2 . . . Stops play:

a. Because of an injury as in 3-3-5, 6.
b. To confer with the scorer or timer.
c. Because of unusual delay in getting a dead ball live.
d. For any other situations or any emergency.

NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

ART. 3 . . . Grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:

a. The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.
b. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available and required.

ART. 4 . . . Responds to the scorer's signal to grant a coach's request that a correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorer's table where a coach of each team may be present.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf1pack
Is it up until Team B inbounds the ball, or until the ball is at team B's disposal to inbound the ball.
wolf1pack,
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the time out may be granted "until the ball is at team B's disposal to inbound the ball."

When the ball is "at the teams disposal" is a slightly *fuzzy* concept, but can often be directly related to the officials' 5 second count.

Please remember that your players may also request a time out if you cannot get the officials' attention.

mick
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

You can also try to be proactive by telling the ref immediately prior to the situation that you'd like a timeout.

As in "Mr. Ref, if we make the second free throw, I'd like a timeout". Then request the timeout as soon as the ball falls through the rim.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
We as officials need to do a better job about this. I have seen this rule messed up alot of the time!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I am a coach in a rec league coaching 17-18 year old boys team. I need a claification on when a team can call a timeout. I know you can call a timeout when you have possesion of the ball, or during a dead ball situation. If team A scores a basket, when can team A call a timeout? Also, if team A makes a free throw (second of two shoots), when can team A call a timeout. Is it up until Team B inbounds the ball, or until the ball is at team B's disposal to inbound the ball. We are playing games according to the NFHS rules. Thanks for your help
Wolfpack -- welcome to the forum! We love having coaches come here and ask good questions like this.

This is a great question because so many folks don't understand the rules. After team A scores a basket, the ball is dead for a short period of time. Team A is allowed to request a time out during that brief moment, and the officials should grant it. The trick is to make the request at the right instant. It should be as the ball is in the net, so that it's clear the basket was made, but the ball is not yet "at the disposal" of team B.

Rememeber that a coach cannot CALL a timeout, he or she can only REQUEST it. The officials GRANT the timeouts, when they are legal. Also, don't expect rec league refs to know all the details of the rule. It's possible that a rec league ref won't know that a time-out can be granted to team A right as the ball is passing through the basket. You would do yourself a service to find a way to help the education process forward without being confrontational. I expect you are one of the few coaches who can do this -- your coming here and asking us in this fashion shows that you have a reasonable side.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Rememeber that a coach cannot CALL a timeout, he or she can only REQUEST it. The officials GRANT the timeouts, when they are legal.
It's very satisfying to know I have made a difference.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
You can also try to be proactive by telling the ref immediately prior to the situation that you'd like a timeout.

As in "Mr. Ref, if we make the second free throw, I'd like a timeout". Then request the timeout as soon as the ball falls through the rim.
This is good, but make sure to actaully call the timeout. I once had a coach say "I want a timeout when we get the ball." His team gets the ball and 5 seconds later hes screaming timeout, I give him the timeout and then he gets mad because I didn't give him a timeout when his team originally got the ball.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Rememeber that a coach cannot CALL a timeout, he or she can only REQUEST it. The officials GRANT the timeouts, when they are legal.
I thought it was MTD,Sr. that made the difference -- not MP.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I caught serious heat about 5 years ago for not granting TO in this situation. B1 grabbed ball as it came through net after made hoop by A1. While he was trying to inbound Coach A began yelling for TO. Team A players began signalling for TO. Everyone from team A froze thinking TO was going to be given, but I let play continue resulting in 2 passes for a layup on B's end. Tried to explain the rule to irate coach, but I still don't think he believes it. I was told "everybody else gives it then". I know there is a gray area here, but B was clearly well into the process of inbounding. It was too late for the TO.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
I was told "everybody else gives it then". I know there is a gray area here, but B was clearly well into the process of inbounding. It was too late for the TO.
Memorize this phrase: "There's a simple explanation for that. Everybody else is wrong."

Works for me. It's true, too!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was MTD,Sr. that made the difference -- not MP.
Not on this point. I own this concept. It's copyrighted.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
I was told "everybody else gives it then". I know there is a gray area here, but B was clearly well into the process of inbounding. It was too late for the TO.
Memorize this phrase: "There's a simple explanation for that. Everybody else is wrong."

Works for me. It's true, too!
I think you and Mark are right that you were too far into the process. "Everybody else is wrong."
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the help.
We have had this situation several times this season where the timeout was granted after our team had the ball to inbounds(after a made basket).

Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.
We have had this situation several times this season where the timeout was granted after our team had the ball to inbounds(after a made basket).

The lower the level, the more this is going to happen. The best you can do is politely remind the ref that once you are trying to inbound, they can't call time out. At best, he'll start to watch for that. At worst, he'll disagree with you and you'll have to live with that.
Remember, though, once he blows the whistle, the timeout will be granted.