The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Boys Varsity playoff game last week. The game had to be played in a smaller gym. The only seats were along one end line. Had a howler monkey on the first row just off of the court.

Team A had several players over 6' 5". Team B had no players taller than about 6' 2". So, everything in the paint was blocked and A got nearly all rebounds.

The dad on the front row kept yelling "over the back". He was really getting into it, especially when we were inbounding on the endline. At half, I was going to get some water and saw him positioning to say something to me or my co. I told my co I would handle it.

He comes up and asks when we are going to call Team A for reaching over the back and stealing rebounds. I told him that the term "over the back" in no where in the rule book. After a few seconds, he asked, "you mean if a taller player is behind a shorter player and reaches over and gets the ball, that's not in the rule book?" I said no. Then he asks, "So, it isn't in High School, College, or the NBA?" I said No. Then he walked off and said, "Oh you guys are a bunch of idiots."

Don't you love em.

My co told him he could leave. He returned after the half,but didn't have much to say.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

The term may not be in the rule book but the concept is..."if there's contact, "ON the back", then we'll certainly call a foul, but not if a player is simply taller and able to reach over and avoid the contact. We've been looking for it and haven't seen much of it yet, but we'll take a look at it."

Give the guy something to think about next time he decides to holler. "Not in the rule book" only leaves 'em frustrated because he doesn't know the rule(s) but yet he's "seen it called" before.

Had a similar monkey the other night who had to be worn out by the end of the game - he REALLY worked us (same small town gym). Got with the concession lady and "bought" him a coke which she delivered to him during the second half...guy was a bit different after that but still had one of the best lines ever..."I like Pepsi better!"
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Though I would prefer to not get into a discussion of rules with a fan, if I were faced with this situation which unless I wanted to be rude and completely ignore him, I would have explained that no contact = no foul and if his team were to block out, they could probably draw that contact and he'd get his call. Maybe something like that would help help him to leave you alone because now he has something to yell at his team about.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Try this ....

Last weekend's playoff games. During a timeout a guy (grand-dad) walked down the bleachers, onto the court and approached my partner waiting to resume play near the free throw line and observing the huddle. I saw him and joined. I asked the gentleman to step off the court. He did politly. An anxious moment!

Partner was stunned. Guy was asking what the 5 second call was he made a few plays ago.

At half time I saw him and asked if his question was answered. He had no idea what a "closly guarded" was. I explained.

After the game ANOTHER guy made a bee line towards us departing the floor asking: "How do you all determine who gets the ball on a jump". We explained the arrow on the scoretable. "Well we only ot it four time the whole game." Explained the possessions role after quaters. He had no idea.

We located management and asked they keep spectators away. No other issues.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Rock Stars

Kind of makes you feel like a Rock Star when you have to ask GM to keep the spectators and fans away from us and out of our dressing room.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Though I would prefer to not get into a discussion of rules with a fan, if I were faced with this situation which unless I wanted to be rude and completely ignore him, I would have explained that no contact = no foul and if his team were to block out, they could probably draw that contact and he'd get his call. Maybe something like that would help help him to leave you alone because now he has something to yell at his team about.
I agree about not getting into a discussion. Rarely does it yield anything positive. One way to cut short this particular discussion might be to use the word "displacement". "It's illegal if he displaces the player in front." You've given him something to think about, and that gives you a chance to get away without being rude. Saying "no contact/no foul" is risky, because we usually no-call a certain amout of contact. If you say the word displacement, he's gotta go look it up before he can argue, and by then, you'll be well into the third quarter!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I agree about not getting into a discussion. Rarely does it yield anything positive. One way to cut short this particular discussion might be to use the word "displacement". "It's illegal if he displaces the player in front." You've given him something to think about, and that gives you a chance to get away without being rude. Saying "no contact/no foul" is risky, because we usually no-call a certain amout of contact. If you say the word displacement, he's gotta go look it up before he can argue, and by then, you'll be well into the third quarter!
Sounds good to me. Sometimes comments to fans and coaches are especially hard for me because by nature I'm a smart ask.