The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Last night I had the first hs boys game I've had for almost a year. I noticed that my positioning was a lot different and I had trouble "staying out of the way". In the middle of the second quarter, A2 tipped a defensive rebound out of the paint to A1 who was standing right in front of me, just above the 3-point line. A1 turned to run, and got around me. B1 guarding, though, didn't make it around. He tried, but clipped me good on the shoulder and knocked me down. I felt like a bowling pin. It was interesting to me that I would not have called the contact a foul if it had happened between opponents. I no call that mcuh contact all the time. But it sure affected my ability to call the game!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

But were you set when you took the charge?

I had a more experienced official tell me recently that I'm too far back as T on free throws. So I moved in closer. Then I noticed the varsity guys (working the GV game) being back farther. So I asked them about it and they assured me that if they stood where I was standing in a BV game, they'd get run over. I'm just glad I didn't have to take the charge to learn the lesson!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Get out of the way.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

TWEET.

BLOCK ! ! ! !

Hope you're not hurting too much....

Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Get out of the way.
Believe me, I'm learning fast!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Has your perspective change on how much contact constitutes a foul

I have only had two collisions...and the last one was when a kid was backing up, I tried to move but he changed directions.

Now, I have been hit with the basketball more this year

Got hit 4 times in one game. Every time I moved to get a better angle or look through the kid would tip the ball and deflect it right into me. One kid did it three times...I finally told him (jokingly) to either catch it or let it go. Felt like I had a bulls eye on my chest that game.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Similar Situation

First and hopefully last one of the season. Working a 7th Grade Boys Tournament last Saturday.

Ball deflected wide, A1 gathers it.

I manuever out of the way.

B1 is chasing behind from a slightly different angle.

I attempt to shift outside let B1 pass by me.

B1 was deadset on getting to my outside.

BAMMMM!

He runs into me and "drips" off like a wet towel.

B1's coach, who had done a great job with team, laughs and excitedly tells his bench players, "Now, That's how you set a pick!"

I smiled and gave the coach a thumb's up as I sped away to cover the action.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I know how you feel!! Last year I had a partner in a BV game take a hit from a defensive player firmly planted when he was hit by the dribbler on a player control foul. My partner flew backward and hit the back of his head squarely on the floor. Blood everywhere! The AD drove him to the hospital and seven stitches later he asked what hit him? He and the AD have been friends for years and the AD told him that "he had jumped so high to get out of the way of the players, he had hit his head on the bottom of the glass". To this day the guy thinks he still has enough legs to get up and hit his head on the bottom of the glass!!
Unbelievable at his age!

Sometimes you just can't get out of the way! You want to be in a position to see and make the call - especially in a tight game. The kids are too quick. You zig when they zag!
The cool thing about the train wreck is that the kids remember you and it gives you a chance to act like a human being. They appreciate it when you can laugh at yourself.

Keep on ziggin' and zaggin'!!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Did y'all see the NBA ref get hit in his lineage the other week?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Did y'all see the NBA ref get hit in his lineage the other week?
I had it on Tivo and showed my wife a few times (I enjoyed it for some reason -- probably because of all the foul balls I take during baseball season). Best part was the Sportscenter announcer who said, "And he takes one right in the jumblies."
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Got hit 4 times in one game. Every time I moved to get a better angle or look through the kid would tip the ball and deflect it right into me. One kid did it three times...I finally told him (jokingly) to either catch it or let it go. Felt like I had a bulls eye on my chest that game.
It doesn't do you any good to throw the ball to me -- I don't know the plays.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Last night I had the first hs boys game I've had for almost a year. I noticed that my positioning was a lot different and I had trouble "staying out of the way". In the middle of the second quarter, A2 tipped a defensive rebound out of the paint to A1 who was standing right in front of me, just above the 3-point line. A1 turned to run, and got around me. B1 guarding, though, didn't make it around. He tried, but clipped me good on the shoulder and knocked me down. I felt like a bowling pin. It was interesting to me that I would not have called the contact a foul if it had happened between opponents. I no call that mcuh contact all the time. But it sure affected my ability to call the game!
Remember time and distance when you set a pick. I got a no call incidental contact. LOL Glad you're not hurt.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Juulie. After reviewing the play, the video showed that your feet were moving - therefore, the proper call is a block.