The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

This opinion article appeared in my school's paper today:

Campus Recreation in need of better-trained referees for intramural sports.
Posted: 02.16.2005
Trevor Behar
It's a never-ending struggle during the life of a referee. He's trained to call it as he sees it -- not making calls favoring one team or the other, being completely unbiased in all ways.

Now, how many people have you met in your lifetime that don't favor at least one side of a conversation, those that don't side with one friend or the other, they remain completely neutral. Sound like a fairy tale? That's probably because it is.

Though there are a few people out there, every single official in a sporting event is not going to be this kind of person. They are going to focus more on one type of penalty or call over another. Some will focus their attention to popular calls they have experience noticing, whereas others may have the guts to go out on a limb.

Regardless of this fact, most officials will end up making calls that are questionable or even dead wrong.

I realized a dilemma last week during one of the men's intramural basketball games held at Carmichael Gymnasium. While the game was going on, it seemed as if the referee was calling a few too many calls on our team compared to the other team. We did lose the game, but I have no room to say the outcome was dependent upon its officiating.

My opinion isn't based on one basketball game but several, including my observations of friends' intramural football games. My argument is with the type officiating going on in these games. In an intramural game things are expected to be less serious -- there shouldn't be a hundred calls per game unless, of course, the teams are playing too rough.

The point of these intramural sports is to encourage teamwork and athleticism to those of us lacking the skills nurtured by Julius Hodge. If we lack the skill and training to reach that level of play, this doesn't mean we still want to play under the same high level of scrutiny.

At a college-level basketball game, everything is expected to be serious, non-biased and 100 percent correct -- granted there are always going to be a few argument-worthy decisions. However, overall, you will usually only end up with one or two bad officials per season.

Officials need to cut a little slack to the intramural teams that are participating just have some fun. For those that go out to the courts every once in a while, pick-up games are one of the most fun ways to play because there are no officials and the rules are left to the discretion of the players. The rules are only taken into account when serious fouls are evident to all. These games are merely as games and should be treated as such.

On the other hand, there are also officials who make few or no calls at all. While I realize we were doing things that deserved penalties in the game, I also realize that quite a few fouls weren't called. Now on this court, there happened to be two officials, and not catching fouls that are left to the judgment of the official is also something that needs to be fixed.

This issue deals with a lack of confidence in the official that usually comes with time and experience. This factor of officiating is still very relevant in the fact that we are playing in a league and a standard needs to be set.

In competition, there always needs to be a middle man capable of making unbiased calls. At the same time, there also needs to be someone in control of players, making sure sports are played safely and players aren't playing in a way that causes harm to others.

The struggle in our intramural sports is that there is no common ground for referees. Some judge too harshly while others don't recognize major fouls. As a whole, intramural sports just aren't any fun when you get called out for every minor detail or when the other team is getting away with fouls.

Both can be fixed with a better training program, one that trains officials to be neither too shy nor too strict. We need trained referees to allow fun games and make the obvious calls, not officials who pick out the tiniest of details or who allow players to be trampled during game play.

It almost seems that Campus Recreation is in such a need for officials that they aren't spending enough time training the officials adequately.

Now on that note I will end my opinions with hope that at least you may take a second notice of the officials next time you're watching an intramural sport. Are they doing a good job, are they making the right calls, are they allowing everyone to have fun and yet still keeping them safe? If you're not seeing what you want, that little office downstairs in Carmichael is the perfect place to speak your opinions about game officials, which just so happens to be one of their responsibilities.

Apparently because we call the games tight, they aren't fun. We should only focus on the "serious" foul, like they do in pickup games in the gym.
I was suprised when I read this...I didn't know howler monkeys could write.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

So many problems with this....where do I begin?

I will agree, however, that intramural officials aren't trained well and often do a pretty poor job.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

How about the author gets off his a$$ and grabs a whistle before writing his next opinion column denigrating college students who are just getting started officiating.

[Edited by Snaqwells on Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:58 AM]
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
How about the author gets off his a$$ and grabs a whistle before writing his next opinion column.
This one gets my vote!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
How about the author gets off his a$$ and grabs a whistle before writing his next opinion column.
This one gets my vote!
Mine too
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not mine. He has already admitted that he probably can't be impartial.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

another reason

The other reason his intramural league can't get more experienced oficials is that most of those leagues are used to playing their own way and cry everytime a foul gets called on them.

Most of your experienced refs will not touch rec leagues with a 20 foot pole.

For $15 or $20 it is not worth the amount of money I have to spend on pain killers and Tylenol after the game from all of the headaches it caused me.

Try paying an official an appropriate amount for their time and you may get better officials.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

Regardless of this fact, most officials will end up making calls that are questionable or even dead wrong.

Most writers will end up making statements that are questionable or even dead wrong.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I guess that writer's team lost their game last night.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
So many problems with this....where do I begin?

I will agree, however, that intramural officials aren't trained well and often do a pretty poor job.
Where the dexter has Dexter been?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I was 'volunteered' to work the 30 and over rec league games for their 'playoffs'. My first night there the other official failed to show so I worked solo the first game and the first part of the second one until my 'volunteerer' - a ref and head of the rec dept. - came in to help me.

There were old Juco and HS players and many of them were seriously overweight but still thought they could ball. What a night....

Make a call and they cried "too tight". Let one go and they cried "He was all over me!".

After I finish up this playoff deal I agreed to I'll never work one again. I hate the Al Bundy League.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
I hate the Al Bundy League.
great name!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach and sometime rec ball player here is my take...

If you want "fun", play pick up ball at lunch...
If you want a "league" with "rules" and real refs...the players should shut up and "quit ur *****in'"

coach g
(My rec ball days are about over with the torn rotator cuffs in both arms and looming surgery- yikes!)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

What the heck!

What in the world does this last clause mean. There was so much off-base stuff in this drivel, that the last clasue probably went unnoticed.

"If you're not seeing what you want, that little office downstairs in Carmichael is the perfect place to speak your opinions about game officials, which just so happens to be one of their responsibilities."

Whose responsibility? And what is the 'responsibility?'

In my opinion (ha-ha-ha) this is one of the major problems in our society today - everyone thinks they should be allowed to evaluate and that their opinion should count... but in general, they have no basis/foundation/ability to perform an unbiased, valid evaluation. Why should that count or have any bearing in life?

No, there was not a baby in the bathwater; I just threw it out.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I have to reply

If this is what collega academia is producing, I fear for our Country. It was a whine from the get-go. Unfortunately, it was not well researched. The writer is an expert on officiating without being an official. As Bugs would say "What a Maroon!"