The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Had A1 foul out yesterday, notified Coach and then player of the 5th foul and told timer to start the clock. Coach then called his team over for a huddle while he was getting his sub ready to report.

B's Coach claimed he couldn't do that...I can't seem to find anything either way. Any help and rules references much appreciated
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

He is allowed to do this. See case book play 10.5.1 Sit B.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Also, if you still have your rules book from last season 2003-04, you will find this mentioned in POE number 5. The players may head to the bench for instruction during this time, but they must remain on the playing court and only the head coach may be standing during this time.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Had A1 foul out yesterday, notified Coach and then player of the 5th foul and told timer to start the clock. Coach then called his team over for a huddle while he was getting his sub ready to report.

B's Coach claimed he couldn't do that...I can't seem to find anything either way. Any help and rules references much appreciated
Just curious, why would B think he couldn't do that?

What is to keep a coach from bringing all five players over and talking with them at ANY time during the contest.

Just wondering because last night I had the exact same thing happen, but I did have to remind the coach only the five players - now four plus the sub could be on the court.

So the other team also huddled. Gave them a free TO.

thanks
David
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

Just wondering because last night I had the exact same thing happen, but I did have to remind the coach only the five players - now four plus the sub could be on the court.

David, please remember that once the sub enters the 30 second replacement period ends. The coach is not allowed to have the sub and the four other players on the court and talk to them for that reason.

Once the sub comes in, it is time to play. If the coach wants to talk to his team, he needs to hold the sub until near the end of the 30 seconds, then send him to check in.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

David, please remember that once the sub enters the 30 second replacement period ends. The coach is not allowed to have the sub and the four other players on the court and talk to them for that reason.

Once the sub comes in, it is time to play. If the coach wants to talk to his team, he needs to hold the sub until near the end of the 30 seconds, then send him to check in.
Exactamundo!
Recently had a coach go bezerk when I told him game on. He said he had 30 seconds. I explained that he sent his sub to check in and now we're playing.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

You're right but ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

The coach did it within the 30 seconds. He said "i have 30 seconds right?" I said yes and then he called his team over and met with them.

Horn sounded and we played.

He was within his time period and his rights.

But that is a good point about the sub not being in at that point - once the sub enters we play.

But we also know the coach will get the player he's going to sub in and stand there and talk to him (off the court) while he's waiting for the 30 seconds. If the other 4 players (on the court) want to listen in etc., that's legal.

Once the sub reports to the table then he's in and we play.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Feb 16th, 2005 at 10:34 AM]