The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Recently there was a situation in an NCAA game that has me a little puzzled.
The ball was in the backcourt and the count was about 5 with little chance of the guard making it across with the amoount of pressure that was being applied. The guard made a pass to the midcourt area to one of his players.
That player was in the frontcourt as the pass was made and jumped to catch the pass and landed in the back court.
The trail offical called over and back.
I understand the theory that the players last established position was in the front court and landing in the back court would be over and back but thte problem I have is that the ball was never legally in the front court in my opinion, thus the three points were not established for the ball to be in the front court. there by no over and back.

By this interpretation if the ball were in A's backcourt and A1 is throwing a pass to to A2 in the front court a B1 catches it in the air leaping from B's backcourt (A's frontcourt) to B's frontcourt it would be over and back. I beleive that the rule was changed to prevent that from being the case.

So I just would like clarification on how the ball was determined to be in the front court.

Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Rick82358

Yes the ball was legally in the front court because when the players teammate caught the ball in the air it automatically had front court stats because he had jumped from his front court. So over and back is the right call. The three points in the front court only applies to a dribbler not someone holding the ball.

You are correct though that the rule was changed in the second senario that you describe. This was done to not penalize good defense. But the rule was not changed with regards to offensive teams.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358

I understand the theory that the players last established position was in the front court and landing in the back court would be over and back...

... but the problem I have is that the ball was never legally in the front court in my opinion, thus the three points were not established for the ball to be in the front court. there by no over and back.
Rick,

Dewey is correct. This is a BC violation becasue the ball did acheive FC status. Many officials get confused about "three points." But again, Dewey is correct that "three points" only applies to a dribbler.

Take a look at 4-4-6, 9-9 and the Exceptions that follow.

TH

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Smile I made this exact call last weekend!

A1 was being pressured by solid defense and it was close to a 10 seconds violation. A1 threw the ball to A2, who had established FC status. A2 became airborne from the FC, caught the ball, and landed in the BC.

I whistle the violation.

A2 looked at me and commented that he "Jumped before he caught the ball."

I calmly explained the violation as noted above. Play continues....
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I actually had to make this call twice this year, but on inbound plays. Both times the kid jumped from inbounds, caught the ball, then landed OOB. Both coaches were very upset at the call. I guess it sucks when you draw up a trick OOB play and the players screw it up.

My guess he will remind them in the future to be OOB before catching the pass.

PS- Before anyone points it out, yes, both of these were after a bucket.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I actually had to make this call twice this year, but on inbound plays. Both times the kid jumped from inbounds, caught the ball, then landed OOB. Both coaches were very upset at the call. I guess it sucks when you draw up a trick OOB play and the players screw it up.

My guess he will remind them in the future to be OOB before catching the pass.

PS- Before anyone points it out, yes, both of these were after a bucket.
What's the trick here? (And what's the play, btw?)
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

As we all know it is legal to change inbounders during a throw in after a basket.

The player inbounding throws the ball toward the other end line. The kid who is inbounds is supposed to be there to catch it (a "delay", the pass goes before the player is there) and then he is supposed to throw a bomb or something down the side line.

Problem is both times the inbounder threw the ball high, so the kid had to jump to catch it. The timing has to be right, and the play was just blown.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
As we all know it is legal to change inbounders during a throw in after a basket.

The player inbounding throws the ball toward the other end line. The kid who is inbounds is supposed to be there to catch it (a "delay", the pass goes before the player is there) and then he is supposed to throw a bomb or something down the side line.

Problem is both times the inbounder threw the ball high, so the kid had to jump to catch it. The timing has to be right, and the play was just blown.
Thanks.

I know that if this happened to a team I was coaching, I'd start to wonder about the brain power of the kids on my team. (But that's probably only because I read the rules)