View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Recently there was a situation in an NCAA game that has me a little puzzled.
The ball was in the backcourt and the count was about 5 with little chance of the guard making it across with the amoount of pressure that was being applied. The guard made a pass to the midcourt area to one of his players.
That player was in the frontcourt as the pass was made and jumped to catch the pass and landed in the back court.
The trail offical called over and back.
I understand the theory that the players last established position was in the front court and landing in the back court would be over and back but thte problem I have is that the ball was never legally in the front court in my opinion, thus the three points were not established for the ball to be in the front court. there by no over and back.

By this interpretation if the ball were in A's backcourt and A1 is throwing a pass to to A2 in the front court a B1 catches it in the air leaping from B's backcourt (A's frontcourt) to B's frontcourt it would be over and back. I beleive that the rule was changed to prevent that from being the case.

So I just would like clarification on how the ball was determined to be in the front court.