The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Last Friday I was attending a boys varsity game in my hometown. I am an 8th grade girls coach who often brings my team to the HS to watch the games on Fridays. This was a bitter rivalry game. The last time these two teams played, however, they took us behind the woodshed and gave us a 25 point beatdown.

In this game, however, we were playing great and controlling the game. We were up 45-40 with about 2 minutes left in the game. That's when it all went nuts.

A player from the visiting team attempted a 3-pointer from the corner. One of our players went for the block and clipped the shooter on the elbow as he went by. The official immediately called a foul and gave the shooter 3-shots. At this, the kid for our team said something he shouldn't have and was promptly whistled for a T by the same official who called the original foul. Of course, our crowd went ballistic.

The fouled player proceeded to hit all five free-throws to tie the game. All the while, our crowd was shouting hideous things at the officials. It was embarrassing. It seems that they conveniently forgot that this was the same kid who got ejected at a critical point in the game last week for the same type of goofball behavior.

Our team went on to win the game in triple-overtime, so the play will certainly be forgotten by the hometown partisans. I was thinking to myself, "It was an obvious foul, and presumably, an obvious technical foul. Why are you people yelling at the ref, and why aren't you yelling at our kid who can't shut up and is going to cost us this game?" Apparently, I was the only one who thought this way. Imagine that!

I would like to commend you guys for the work you do. I have officiated different sports, mostly jv level or below, so I do know just a very tiny bit of what you go through. But, as a coach, I know you will never get the kudos you deserve. I always tell the parents of my players, "Every second I spend dealing with the officials, is one second less that I spend coaching my team." Keep up the good work, and remember that some of us coaches think you do a great job.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterV
I have officiated different sports
You may not have been the ONLY one, but you were certainly in the vast minority, and the above is why.

You understand what it is to be on the other side.

Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
...I always tell the parents of my players, "Every second I spend dealing with the officials, is one second less that I spend coaching my team."
A coach who gets "it"!! Hallelujah! Coach, I'll work your game any day!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I'd love for any of you guys to do one of my games. Unfortunately, our season is already over. We were defeated in our tournament semi-finals. The refs cost us that game big time!

Just kidding!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

And a coach with a good sense of humor.

WTG coach, keep up the good work and help those kids be better athletes and better people.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B I was thinking to myself, "It was an obvious foul, and presumably, an obvious technical foul. Why are you people yelling at the ref, and why aren't you yelling at our kid who can't shut up and is going to cost us this game?" [/B]
Because when you pay your entrance fee to the game it gives you the right to yell at the officials.

Rule 3.1C of the spectator's handbook
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
Quote:
[B I was thinking to myself, "It was an obvious foul, and presumably, an obvious technical foul. Why are you people yelling at the ref, and why aren't you yelling at our kid who can't shut up and is going to cost us this game?"
Because when you pay your entrance fee to the game it gives you the right to yell at the officials.

Rule 3.1C of the spectator's handbook [/B]
Wrong rule reference - it is actually

ID.10.T.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Sam,
Are you using the 2004/2005 rulebook? If so, then I am looking at a previous edition.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I dont' recall the exact wording, however I do recall the reference number/code. The section that governs a fan's familiarity with rules and when to hollar is :

I D .1 0 . T
ID.10.T
IDIOT!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last Friday I was attending a boys varsity game in my hometown. I am an 8th grade girls coach who often brings my team to the HS to watch the games on Fridays. This was a bitter rivalry game. The last time these two teams played, however, they took us behind the woodshed and gave us a 25 point beatdown.

In this game, however, we were playing great and controlling the game. We were up 45-40 with about 2 minutes left in the game. That's when it all went nuts.

A player from the visiting team attempted a 3-pointer from the corner. One of our players went for the block and clipped the shooter on the elbow as he went by. The official immediately called a foul and gave the shooter 3-shots. At this, the kid for our team said something he shouldn't have and was promptly whistled for a T by the same official who called the original foul. Of course, our crowd went ballistic.

The fouled player proceeded to hit all five free-throws to tie the game. All the while, our crowd was shouting hideous things at the officials. It was embarrassing. It seems that they conveniently forgot that this was the same kid who got ejected at a critical point in the game last week for the same type of goofball behavior.

Our team went on to win the game in triple-overtime, so the play will certainly be forgotten by the hometown partisans. I was thinking to myself, "It was an obvious foul, and presumably, an obvious technical foul. Why are you people yelling at the ref, and why aren't you yelling at our kid who can't shut up and is going to cost us this game?" Apparently, I was the only one who thought this way. Imagine that!

I would like to commend you guys for the work you do. I have officiated different sports, mostly jv level or below, so I do know just a very tiny bit of what you go through. But, as a coach, I know you will never get the kudos you deserve. I always tell the parents of my players, "Every second I spend dealing with the officials, is one second less that I spend coaching my team." Keep up the good work, and remember that some of us coaches think you do a great job.
Thanks for getting it coach.

I'm wondering why the coach is not taking some heat in this situation as well. The kid got ejected before and was dumb enough to foul a 3 point shooter and even dumber for getting a T. That is a kid that should be picking slinters out of his rear end and not nearly costing his team the game.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

It is amazing to me how otherwise logical people can morph into these creatures that I turn around and see at some of these games.

Having been involved as a parent / asst. coach for the last few years I have a totally new prespective on what the players, coaches and referees have to endure to take part in this sport that they enjoy so much.

Let us always remember what really is important (the kids) and what is not (us).

Good job coach.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 02:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks coach! Great post.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

All right, who's the wise guy official writing in as a coach?