The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This happened in a V-Girls game. Team A has a throw-in in their frontcourt right in front of the Team B bench. The coach for team be is standing in the middle of his coaching box about 6-7ft from the spot for the throw-in. Team A wants to run a play were they throw the ball into the back court. The coach for Team A is yelling at the officials because he says that they can't get a good angle on the pass because of where Coach B is. The officials tell him that Coach B is entitled to his coaching box and that he doesn't have to move. They have another talk with Coach A during halftime and end up telling him they will make the coach move next time.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I would ask the coach to move. If the ball hit the coach as it went OOB, would you make the coach move? He's standing on the spot but it's his coaching box. Of course, he has to move. I see no diffeence here. The coach is not going to be placed at a disadvantage if he has to move 2 or 3 feet.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

While he is in the coaching box, he doesn't get to interfere with the play. What if the throwin should be in the very spot in which the coach were standing? He'd most certainly have to move. If he is in a position that could affect the throwin...he moves.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Why not have the thrower take a step or 2 away from the coach? It's not an exact science as to where the ball "actually" went OOB.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Why not have the thrower take a step or 2 away from the coach? It's not an exact science as to where the ball "actually" went OOB.
To give the thrower sufficient angles to make a throwin up the sideline, even 5-6 feet might not be enough if the coach chooses to stand at the front edge of the box.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I've never really seen a Coach that didn't voluntarily move but if one didn't, I'd just give a friendly " 'scuse us Coach".
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

My question is where would you move the coach to?

If the throw-in is in the middle of the box and the coach is 6-7ft away they are almost out of the box..
The playing surface is in front of the player. The coach will step back toward bench anyway

Take a look at the angles unless the player is going to throw it in the corner in front of the bench, the coach is not anywhere near the play...For the coach to interfere the player would almost be passing the ball to corner parallel with the sideline.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think fundamental principles would apply in this manageable situation.

Ask the coach to step back away from the play. If he/she won't - its an unsportsmanshipissue.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

If the throw-in is in the middle of the box and the coach is 6-7ft away they are almost out of the box..
The playing surface is in front of the player. The coach will step back toward bench anyway

Take a look at the angles unless the player is going to throw it in the corner in front of the bench, the coach is not anywhere near the play...For the coach to interfere the player would almost be passing the ball to corner parallel with the sideline.
He could always have a seat. If he needs to move out of his box, just don't T him up for it.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Talking

Whack him for not moving, then whack him for being out of the box.... OK i had my laughs :P :P :P
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

The throw in was not in the coaches box. We have a 6ft box in Texas. The coach was right in the middle of his box and about 6-7ft from the spot for the throw in. The coach was never asked to move. I know him pretty and if ask he would move. If not ask he probably wouldn't.