The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Last week I posted a question that another referee asked me about. The situation was where the officials lined up the players going the wrong way in O/T. B scored at A's basket. They realized the problem, scored the goal, and turned things around. His question was where to put the ball in. They correctly decided to put the ball in from the opposite end and have A start up court from B's correct baseline. I asked for opinions and received them (they did it correctly).

I worked with the same official tonight and informed him (during our pre-game) that they were correct. Now he comes up with another scenario:

Teams are lined up the wrong way. B gets the tap and initially starts at the basket they were lined up to shoot at. Everyone else falls into place on defense and he now realizes he should be going the other way. He turns and heads down court for what would be an uncontested layup.

I initially answered that I would blow the play dead prior to him going in for the uncontested layup. I would then turn things around and have B inbound the ball at half court. I don't think that I have any rules to support this.
What would you do?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 09:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc

Teams are lined up the wrong way. B gets the tap and initially starts at the basket they were lined up to shoot at. Everyone else falls into place on defense and he now realizes he should be going the other way. He turns and heads down court for what would be an uncontested layup.

I initially answered that I would blow the play dead prior to him going in for the uncontested layup. I would then turn things around and have B inbound the ball at half court. I don't think that I have any rules to support this.
What would you do?
It's an official's error. Correct it as soon as soon as you realize your mistake.

It's covered under rule 4-5-4 which says that "when discovered" you stop play. You discovered it before B made the layup. Give B the ball OOB and turn the teams around going the right way.