The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is awarded the ball after a jumpball situation. Team A is throwing the ball in and the thrower steps on the inbouds line and is called for the violation. Does Team A lose the arrow? And, next question, if Team B then violates in the same fashion, what happens to the arrow? Our crew tonight tried to discuss this situation and wanted to ask you guys and gals!!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by OFISHE8
Team A is awarded the ball after a jumpball situation. Team A is throwing the ball in and the thrower steps on the inbouds line and is called for the violation. Does Team A lose the arrow? And, next question, if Team B then violates in the same fashion, what happens to the arrow? Our crew tonight tried to discuss this situation and wanted to ask you guys and gals!!
When Team A violates, they've used up their AP throw-in. The arrow is switched, and Team B gets the ball. Team B's throw-in IS NOT an AP throw-in, so in effect, they get the ball, and the arrow. Does that also answer your question baout Team B "then violating"?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Team A does lose the arrow for committing a violation on a throw-in awarded by the arrow.

If team B violates on the subsequent throw-in, A gets the ball, but the arrow stays with B. Will someone please confirm this - I don't have my books with me and it'd be nice to quote a reference.

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Feb 15th, 2005 at 01:01 AM]
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:07pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:

The violation by Team A causes them to lose to Arrow. Hoever, if Team B violates on the very next throw in, nothing happens to the arrow, as far as I know because it's not considered an "AP Throw In" -- that ended with the violation by Team A.

For an NCAA Cite, See 6-3-2, 6-3-4, and AR8

[Edited by Stat-Man on Feb 14th, 2005 at 11:09 PM]

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

So if Team B violates, they keep the arrow and Team A gets the ball. Now, if there is a foul by Team A during the initial throw in after the jump ball, what happens to the arrow?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:11pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
So if Team B violates, they keep the arrow and Team A gets the ball. Now, if there is a foul by Team A during the initial throw in after the jump ball, what happens to the arrow?
In NCAA amd NFHS, the rule is that a foul by either team during an AP throw in does not cause the throw-in team to lose the arrow.

(Of course, most of the time, the table switches the arrow and nobody knows any better, at least at away games I attend ).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Did the thrower cross the line, or just step on it?