The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is the definition of Rec. ball for most of you?

Where I originally come from, what we call rec. ball are Men's leagues. And even Men's leagues have variations of what based on who is in the league and how it is formed.

I have read for years everyone talking about working rec. ball games and I always want to know why? I work only HS games during the season and I might work some AAU during the summer or in the off season. For the most part I stay away from all forms of ball that has little to nothing to do with high school sports.

So what is rec. ball and why do you work it? It sounds like it is a lot more trouble than it is worth.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

For me,
Rec. ball had its place. (Yes...drunken, washed up, wanna-be men basketball players for the most part.)

I should know...I played men's rec ball for 19 years.
(and still play noontime ball at the club when I have days off.)

Anyway, Rec. ball does have its place for some officials, IMO. Just starting out as an official, it gave me actual game situations. It gave me game time. I got to blow my whistle without the pressures of a whole bunch of fans in the stands. I got to practice mechanics, switches, rotations, and maybe most of all...game management.

I used Rec. Leagues to work on getting better...it was a training ground of sorts. After about 8 years of that stuff, it wasn't any fun anymore...it wasn't serving a purpose...I wasn't practicing mechanics anymore, in fact I was getting lazy, getting a bad attitude and developing bad habits. Simple solution, get out.

So, Rec. Ball does have its place...its just a place I don't choose to go at this time.

Richland, WA
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

It is great for experience and game management. If you can handle a men's league no coach is a problem. Most of the funky stuff you never want to have in a school game will show up in rec ball.

I don't work other sports, so I do it for the extra cash and to stay in game shape. The mechanics thing is not a big issue, other than switching on fouls and going to report, I do everything else, including chopping in time, even with a running clock.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 07:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
What is the definition of Rec. ball for most of you?

Where I originally come from, what we call rec. ball are Men's leagues. And even Men's leagues have variations of what based on who is in the league and how it is formed.

I have read for years everyone talking about working rec. ball games and I always want to know why? I work only HS games during the season and I might work some AAU during the summer or in the off season. For the most part I stay away from all forms of ball that has little to nothing to do with high school sports.

So what is rec. ball and why do you work it? It sounds like it is a lot more trouble than it is worth.
Rut,
You defined our rec league quite well.
NFHS rules but jewelry and rebounding a free throw on the release is okay.
All round nice men playing U.P. here with some emotion, but not often ugly.
I've gone once or twice this year as a fill-in *helper*. $20.00 per game shows you the value put on the officials.
mick

Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Also, a great place to work on coverage as well as dealing with crazy coaches!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

For me it's basically anything other than official MS, HS or college leagues - includes CYO, parks & rec district leagues, etc. for all age groups.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Rut,

Same in my area as Tim...Rec ball is basically all of the non-sanctioned youth leagues in the area. And really, until you get into the actual city of Pittsburgh (which I am about 45 minutes south of), there are very few men's leagues, at least in my area. What about you guys? Are men's leagues that common?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Around here, we consider Rec Ball to be anything other than HS, AAU or Select Travel Teams. So Rec Ball would include the Men's Leagues and Youth Ball. I work it to get additional games in so I can work on a specific part of my game, and it pays for some relly nice vacations, plus keeps me from getting out of shape. I get paid to exercise? Heck yea!

Just last night, Men's League; partner is a career Rec Ball Ref, I'm L, made basket, B1 starts to inbound and raises foot over inbounds line, Partner is out by half court and calls an inbounds violation right smack in front of me. What am I gonna do? Players are begging and complaining 3 outta 4 games. I've called off on my last 2 times scheduled and went last night with clear mind, yet I still hated it and won't go back. Rec Ball can be ok if you get to pick your partner.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I consider rec ball to be anything other than MS & HS games. I refer to these as "scholastic" games. AAU and travel teams fall under rec. We have a scholastic commissioner and a rec commissioner - and never the twain shall meet. Seriously, the members of the association know that scholastic games take precendent over rec games. Having said that, if I accept a rec assignment and a scholastic game comes up, I won't turn back the rec game unless both commissioners agree. If I accept it, I work it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

For me, rec ball = youth ball. As a younger ref, I find it useful to gain experience. Plus, the guy that assigns the rec games is the one who first got me into officiating when I was 14 and has been my mentor, so I try and help him out when I can. And since I get to pick my partner, it's not bad.

Sara