The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Okay here is one for you guys, i was watching a game in my town the other night and A1 is in the key with his back to the basket, B2 comes over and fouls A1 in the key. The ref called a foul and two shots. The coach was so mad and asked what that was all about and the ref said it is continuous motion, the player was in the process of shooting. I do not understand how that can be a two foul shot if he had his back to the basket the whole time.

What do you guys think??

Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Not enough specifics

rviotto13-

Did A1 even have the ball? Reread your post, you will see why we cannot provide guidance on this situation.

Assuming A1 was a ballhandler, was A1 attempting to pivot toward the basket with his/her eyes focused on the hoop? Had A1 used his/her dribble? Was the ball in a position that it could have been shot? Did A1 actually attempt a shot?

Utimately, there is no way we can legitimately assess the correctness of this call based on your information.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

If the official judged A1 to be in the "act of shooting," 2 shots are warranted.

I had an eye opener at a D-3 camp last year when an assignor told me that the NFHS rule on continuous motion is NO DIFFERENT from the NBA rule. Continuation still applies if A1 is in the act of shooting. It's really changed the way I've called some things this year.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:32am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
Okay here is one for you guys, i was watching a game in my town the other night and A1 is in the key with his back to the basket, B2 comes over and fouls A1 in the key. The ref called a foul and two shots. The coach was so mad and asked what that was all about and the ref said it is continuous motion, the player was in the process of shooting. I do not understand how that can be a two foul shot if he had his back to the basket the whole time.

What do you guys think??

rviotto,
A1 had a little turn-around move and his normal foot movements and/or normal shooting movements were affected by the contact.
mick
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I had an eye opener at a D-3 camp last year when an assignor told me that the NFHS rule on continuous motion is NO DIFFERENT from the NBA rule.
I've said this for several years. Yet, when you make the proper call, you always hear some nut yell, "This ain't the NBA."
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Smile

BBR, as usual, you have been correct all along.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Teddy Valentine told me that if a coach ever questions a "continuous motion" play, just say "Coach, all it takes is a foot, hand or arm movement and I'm gonna let him finish". Concise and you can't really argue with it.