The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw / Time Out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18392-free-throw-time-out.html)

regs12 Fri Feb 11, 2005 02:42am

NFHS RULES: Player recieves ball on free throw. Player B violates. Player A signals for Timeout. Official grants. Resuming Play is the delayed violation still in affect or does the timeout negate it? Does player A still get the extra throw from B's violation prior to time out? Can't figure this one out. Help. Thanks.

regs12 Fri Feb 11, 2005 02:52am

help

Anyone out there with some insight?

blindzebra Fri Feb 11, 2005 04:06am

9.4.1.C.

Ref Daddy Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:45am

I don't see this covered specifically in rules.

I say no violation in your scenario.

The delayed violation and signal assumes the shooter is making a try for the free throw and is continuing through that process.

The time-out breaks that string of proceedures.

Spirit of the rules you hold violations during the attempt. team chose not to attempt.

David B Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy

I don't see this covered specifically in rules.

I say no violation in your scenario.

The delayed violation and signal assumes the shooter is making a try for the free throw and is continuing through that process.

The time-out breaks that string of proceedures.

Spirit of the rules you hold violations during the attempt. team chose not to attempt.

Since there was no FT attempt then I would ignore the violation.

The player will still get his free throws etc.,

Thanks
David

thumpferee Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:54am

This was discussed in a past post. I believe the violation would still be in effect based on that discussion. I'll try and find the thread unless someone else out there can find it first.

ChuckElias Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:10am

For those of you confused by BZ's case play reference, he was almost right. Unfortunately, his dyslexia kicked in temporarily. What he meant was 9.1.4C. (You still have a delayed violation.)

WyMike Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:14am

I don't see how a TO would negate a violation or a foul once it has been committed.

mopar60 Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:45am

Ok, so let me see if I understand this:

A receives ball for FT attmpt. prior to shooting B commits lane violation (steps into lane or whateve), A calls timeout before the attempt. What I am hearing is that A will get a free shot on first attempt and if missed would get a re-attempt. That sound about right here. I don't have my rulebook yet so I can't look it up.

Wingin' it

Camron Rust Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by mopar60
Ok, so let me see if I understand this:

A receives ball for FT attmpt. prior to shooting B commits lane violation (steps into lane or whateve), A calls timeout before the attempt. What I am hearing is that A will get a free shot on first attempt and if missed would get a re-attempt. That sound about right here. I don't have my rulebook yet so I can't look it up.

Wingin' it

You got it.

Ref Daddy Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:20am

9.1.4 SITUATION C: A1 is preparing to attempt a free throw. Prior to A1's release of the ball, B1 fakes causing A2 to enter the lane prematurely. A1 then requests and is granted a time-out. RULING: Upon resuming play, A1 is entitled to a free throw and the official shall use the proper signal indicating a violation by B1 prior to the granting of the time-out. If the free throw is successful, the violation is ignored, if unsuccessful a substitute throw is awarded.

ChrisSportsFan Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:23am

Quote:

Originally posted by mopar60
I don't have my rulebook yet so I can't look it up.

Wingin' it

Rule books are over-rated. If you don't believe me, just ask a coach or fan, they don't read em either.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:02pm

I had asked about this a couple of weeks ago, because NCAA women's came out with this very interpretation. It didn't seem logical at first; in fact several people said they wouldn't call it that way because they thought the free throw attempt had ended with the timeout request. But I had a couple of people mention it to me this way - when B1 steps in, it's a violation, with a specific penalty, (albeit a delayed one), and A calling a timeout wouldn't wipe away that penalty, like WyMike said. The confusion seems to come in with the "delayed" part. But it's still a violation, with a specific penalty.

WyMike Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:16pm

You mean had my ex-wife called a TO right after I caught her, I wouldn't be divorced now???

M&M Guy Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WyMike
You mean had my ex-wife called a TO right after I caught her, I wouldn't be divorced now???
I don't think that's a delayed violation! :D