The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Under the heading Violations and Penalties
Rule 9-2.12 states,
Art. 12...No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bound after a designated-spot throw-in begins.

Under the heading Fouls and Penalties
Rule 10-3.3
Art.3...Leave the court for an unauthorized reason or delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

The situations is a follows. A1 is at a designated spot for a throw-in along the baseline. After A1 is handed the ball, A2 on the opposite side of the free-throw lane and inbounds, comes around a screen set along the baseline, steps out of bounds, runs out of bounds behind A1 and the officials and after returning inbounds receives the pass from A2.

My question: Is this a violation or a technical foul? I have looked in the case book and found 9.2.9 dealing with 2 players being out of bounds to pick up a ball that has been put in play when no thrower is at the spot to throw the ball in. What do you think?

Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I would say that the situation you describe is much more closely detailed in case 10.3.3 Situation B and should probably be a technical foul.

Z
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

dont' see it a lot

However if you were quick on the whistle, the second they step out of bounds if you stop it, you can go with the violation.....but I would probably have to do a double take, replay it in my mind then blow it after the basket LOL...and there we are with a T LOL
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

We had this discussion a while back. I think it should be a violation the moment A2 steps out of bounds - no need to see the whole play.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
We had this discussion a while back. I think it should be a violation the moment A2 steps out of bounds - no need to see the whole play.
I don't have a problem with that and it could certainly be considered preventive officiating if you could be that quick on the whistle. Having been trained to be slow and watch things develop, I'm not sure I'd be so quick.

That being said, if you read the case book you'll see that the violation is geared towards two players being out of bounds for a throw-in without any advantage gained by running out of bounds. The technical is geared towards an advantage gained which is exactly what is described in this sitch.

Z