The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I worked a girls state playoff game last night and had my first opportunity to use Mike Constable's precision timing device. Although it took a little getting used to, I enjoyed using it. Of course, I didn't have the correct lanyard but fortunately the school had a couple of extras.

It took a couple of inbound plays for me to realize that I needed to count with my left hand and start the clock with my right. No need to chop when you're the one starting the clock. One of my partners didn't adjust to it quite so easily. So my other partner and I got into the habit of starting the clock anytime it should be started. It's difficult to break old habits like raising your hand and chopping.

I found that the device really makes you a lot more aware of the clock. I looked at it every time I started it to make sure it stop. I also found my self glancing at it when the whistle stopped.

Just wondering if anyone else has had an opportunity to work with Precision Time and what you think of it. I would really like to see more schools use it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 08:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question What do you mean by......

not having the correct lanyard? Does that make a difference in the working of the system?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What do you mean by......

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
not having the correct lanyard? Does that make a difference in the working of the system?
There is a specially made lanyard that has a clip to hold the "wired mic" that picks up the whistle. You were the pack on your waist. A thin wire runs from the pack, under your shirt, and up to the lanyard, where it clips about an inch from the whistle. The lanyards that were made available to us were the full football type lanyards, not a smitty.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith