The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I am not an official, just an observer/player parent, but I can't seem to get an answer to this q. In a game following the High School federation rules, may cheerleaders stand along the sidelines right beside the inbounds line and actually do cheers, kicks, dances, etc., during the time the ball is actually live or during foul shots? I had always been taught they could not--- could only do that during timeouts--- but after a recent game where a team did this continuously to distract opposition I was told by the ref there is no such rule, and that the only standard he has to apply is whether he subjectively thinks that its affecting play. I have a hard time believing this, since it really means there is no rule at all. Can anyone tell me what the rule is, and give the the exact Rule number? Thanks a lot!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:04am
In Memoriam

You aren't gonna like this, but the official was right. There is no rule that prohibits the cheerleaders from cheering during the game unless they actually interfered in the game, in the official's opinion.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Only problem I have is if they cheer while the opponent shoots free throws. O-yea, and if they're in my way.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

To Jurassic-- you clearly know the rules better than I, but in your view does this also apply to cheerleader conduct right along (by which I mean, touching the) inbounds line? There's no distance back from the line that cheerleaders have to stay while cheering and dancing? I'm fairly sure that if a bunch of fans had decided to simply come down from the stands and stand along the inbounds line and jump up and down during play, the officials would have had something to say about it....
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Actually, such a rule does exist. It just isn't written in the NFHS Basketball Rule Book. It's written in the NFHS Spirit Guide, which are rules that the cheerleaders are supposed to adhere to whenever performing at any NFHS game.

2-1-7
Stunts shall not be performed during a basketball or volleyball game when the ball is in play, including free throws.

2-1-11
Cheerleaders must not stand behind the free throw line extended.

Your state may also have restrictions with regard to cheerleaders. For example, in NC, the NCHSAA Handbook states:

CHEERLEADERS: Cheerleaders must remain seated during all live balls, which includes after the free throw shooter is handed the ball. Cheerleaders may not come onto the floor during 30-second timeouts.

Sooner or later, someone is going to be severely injured as a result of cheerleaders standing during a game. Then, the proverbial manure will hit the fan.

Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Only problem I have is if they cheer while the opponent shoots free throws. O-yea, and if they're in my way.
Why? Haven't you had a game where you constantly hear;

"R-E, R-E-B, R-E-B-O-U-N-D, Rebound, (clap, clap), Rebound"

OR

"M-I-S, S-I-T, Miss It, (pause), Miss It"

I hate those cheers now.

I think it would have to be something really unusual or profane for me to stop cheerleaders during any action.

Now, I was told of an official that stopped fans from using "thunder sticks" (those inflatable sticks you bang together" becuase he considered them artifical noise makers.

[Edited by LarryS on Feb 9th, 2005 at 11:20 AM]
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:

OR

I hate those cheers now.

I think it would have to be something really unusual or profane for me to stop cheerleaders during any action.

No, I was told of an official that stopped fans from using "thunder sticks" (those inflatable sticks you bang together" becuase he considered them artifical noise makers.
I beleive that it's Florida that doesn't allow cheerleaders to cheer when the opponents are shooting FTs.

Artificial noisemakers, (thunder sticks, megaphones, cow bells, plastic bottles with pennies, etc.) are not allowed under NFHS rules.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Moon
To Jurassic-- you clearly know the rules better than I, but in your view does this also apply to cheerleader conduct right along (by which I mean, touching the) inbounds line? There's no distance back from the line that cheerleaders have to stay while cheering and dancing? I'm fairly sure that if a bunch of fans had decided to simply come down from the stands and stand along the inbounds line and jump up and down during play, the officials would have had something to say about it....
Fans aren't cheerleaders. It's kinda expected that cheerleaders are gonna inhabit the end lines. As long as we judge that they're not interfering with the actual game in any way, then they can go ahead and cheer their little brains out. It's just a part of the game, and it's been a part of the game forever.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It's kinda expected that cheerleaders are gonna inhabit the end lines.
It's part of the game in certain areas. In other areas, it's not.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

To BktBallRef (or anyone else): I don't want to get hypertechnical about this thing, but in these NFHS Spirit Rules, is "stunts" defined? For example, does that word mean only pyramids and things like that, or stuff like jumping up and down with pompoms, doing group dance moves and kicks, and so on?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
To BktBallRef (or anyone else): I don't want to get hypertechnical about this thing, but in these NFHS Spirit Rules, is "stunts" defined? For example, does that word mean only pyramids and things like that, or stuff like jumping up and down with pompoms, doing group dance moves and kicks, and so on?
Before you get too wound up in this, don't forget that the officials in your game may have never heard of "spirit" rules. We enforce only what is in the NFHS basketball rule book. The NFHS basketball rules say that we leave the cheerleaders alone if we feel that they aren't interfering in the game. If we feel that they are interfering in the game, then we say "don't do that". Let somebody else worry about their spirit rules. Take away their pom-poms or sumthin'. That's not our job.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These cheerleaders must have really ticked you off

I could understand if they did...my daughter is one.

Around here (North Texas), only thing I have seen officials say to cheerleaders is to stay out of the way when the action gets near them.

Have seen one ran over...but it was an accident...I swear...luckily her two squad mates didn't fall on her when she slid into them.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:

OR

I hate those cheers now.

No, I was told of an official that stopped fans from using "thunder sticks" (those inflatable sticks you bang together" becuase he considered them artifical noise makers.
I beleive that it's Florida that doesn't allow cheerleaders to cheer when the opponents are shooting FTs.

Artificial noisemakers, (thunder sticks, megaphones, cow bells, plastic bottles with pennies, etc.) are not allowed under NFHS rules.
What about a harmonica or blowing into a jug? I also think swinging the straps from your overalls is also annoying.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Before you get too wound up in this, don't forget that the officials in your game may have never heard of "spirit" rules. We enforce only what is in the NFHS basketball rule book. The NFHS basketball rules say that we leave the cheerleaders alone if we feel that they aren't interfering in the game. If we feel that they are interfering in the game, then we say "don't do that". Let somebody else worry about their spirit rules. Take away their pom-poms or sumthin'. That's not our job.
The rules governing cheerleaders are not in the Basketball Rule Book because officials shouldn't be the ones enforcing the rules. Game management should be taking care of the issue.

Jeremy, I don't know how they define stunts." But to me, kicking and jumping are "stunts."

All I know is that I alomost killed one two years ago. I was headed back up the floor after a missed FT and she was where she wasn't suppose to have been.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:10pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Actually, such a rule does exist. It just isn't written in the NFHS Basketball Rule Book. It's written in the NFHS Spirit Guide, which are rules that the cheerleaders are supposed to adhere to whenever performing at any NFHS game.

2-1-7
Stunts shall not be performed during a basketball or volleyball game when the ball is in play, including free throws.

2-1-11
Cheerleaders must not stand behind the free throw line extended.

Your state may also have restrictions with regard to cheerleaders. For example, in NC, the NCHSAA Handbook states:

CHEERLEADERS: Cheerleaders must remain seated during all live balls, which includes after the free throw shooter is handed the ball. Cheerleaders may not come onto the floor during 30-second timeouts.

Sooner or later, someone is going to be severely injured as a result of cheerleaders standing during a game. Then, the proverbial manure will hit the fan.

Hey BktBallRef, can we go over this one more time how you got this book!!!???!! LOL