The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Had a sitch last night in a game with playoff potential. GV UIL assignment.

Team A is about to shoot first of 2 freethrows. Just as she gets the ball at her disposal for the first toss, a member of Team B steps into a lane space (not the lane). Then, before she shoots, a member of Team A steps into another lane space.

Neither violation was caused by the other. These were girls entering the designated spot. Now, if this had been the second free throw, it would have been AP. But, this was the first one, so what should we have done?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

It is a violation to enter or leave a marked lane space during the FT.

If both violators are in marked lane spaces then only the first violation is penalized.

In your case, you need to state where the first player came from. The defender who violated first. Was she not in a marked lane space at all or did she change spaces?

If the defender comes from outside the 3pt line + FT line extended and walks into a lane space after the shooter has the ball, then a teammate along the lane violates, I believe that you have a double violation.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Feb 9th, 2005 at 09:46 AM]
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I fully understand what happened from the description, but my first reaction is this:

~ If B1 violates, then you signal a delayed violation but don't blow the FT dead
~ If A2 then violates (but her violation was not caused by B1's violation, as was stated), you now have a double violation and the FT has ended
~ If you have a double violation on the first of two free throws, the first free throw is simply canceled and you administer the second free throw and play on
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

RULE CHANGE, GUYS!!!

This isn't a double violation.

Only the first violation is penalized.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yep...

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

This isn't a double violation.

Only the first violation is penalized.
Rule 9.1.6 Pen. 4.a

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I recall a clarification that officials are only to penalize the first violation where one violation causes another. I do not recall any rule change that says that there can be no double violations (that aren't simultaneous, I presume would be the argument)... and if I missed it, that is a BAD job by me! Could you (or someone) provide me with a reference; I certainly want to get it right.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just Curious beat my post. Thanks. I'll have to look it up tonight. I appreciate it.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Just as she gets the ball at her disposal for the first toss, a member of Team B steps into a lane space (not the lane).
AS I read this, B must have been below the three point arc, walking toward the space as the ball was bounced to A1.

IF so, get the ball back, make sure everyone is set, and administer the throw.

Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I recall a clarification that officials are only to penalize the first violation where one violation causes another. I do not recall any rule change that says that there can be no double violations (that aren't simultaneous, I presume would be the argument)... and if I missed it, that is a BAD job by me! Could you (or someone) provide me with a reference; I certainly want to get it right.
The case book implies that disconcertion should BE CONSIDERED if B violates followed by A. On a play where two opponents (not the shooter) step in, B followed by A, I would rule that way.

There is a case play that describes B violating first followed by A stepping over the free throw line. Ruling: Double violation. Just wanted to point out that ANY violation by B doesn't absove A from committing a violation -- a free throw missing the rim would also result in a double violation and a trip to the AP arrow.

--Rich
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Had a sitch last night in a game with playoff potential. GV UIL assignment.

Team A is about to shoot first of 2 freethrows. Just as she gets the ball at her disposal for the first toss, a member of Team B steps into a lane space (not the lane). Then, before she shoots, a member of Team A steps into another lane space.

Neither violation was caused by the other. These were girls entering the designated spot. Now, if this had been the second free throw, it would have been AP. But, this was the first one, so what should we have done?
Not your fault but you can avoid this problem when you have an open spot on the lane by asking the appropriate team(s) if they want the spot. If they do I wait until they're in if they don't I bounce the ball to the thrower. I can't remember the last time this happened to me. Also don't be in such a rush to bounce the ball to the shooter.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

True... True... True...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
you can avoid this problem when you have an open spot on the lane by asking the appropriate team(s) if they want the spot. If they do I wait until they're in if they don't I bounce the ball to the thrower. Also don't be in such a rush to bounce the ball to the shooter.
I whole heartedly agree with Gordon30307's last sentence... It'll also minimize the opportunities to deal with "Correctable Errors". Take your time..

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.