The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Im not sure if their is any D1's on here but if you know it would be helpful. I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.

What is your life like?

* How often are you home?
* How far do you travel for a game?
* Does it have a big impact on your family life?

How much do you get paid?

* Does your check include flight, room, food,
car rental?

Just some information I would like to know.

Also...

I notice in College games the person running the clock also has on a referee shirt. Does he get scheduled the game by an assignor or does the school pick him up?

Thanks.

B
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:18am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Im not sure if their is any D1's on here but if you know it would be helpful. I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.

Brandan...

Currently I work D3 but know a good number of officials who work all levels so I'll try and help answer your questions.

What is your life like?

* How often are you home?
* How far do you travel for a game?
* Does it have a big impact on your family life?

Most of the officials I know try to control there travel by taking "swings" through specific regions of the country each week rather than flying long distances like the the top officials you might see on ESPN each night. Some of the D1 folks I know work 4-5 games a week and travel from city to city each day while others try to come home between each assignment.

Travel distances can vary by conference. I know one official who worked an NCAA tournament game last year at the University of Texas and she is from Virginia.

Family life can be very stressful for an official. If those left at home are not supportive of your career choice things are probably going to go south in the relationship. I know a few officials who have gotten divorced over officiating.

How much do you get paid? Varies per conference/official. Starts around $400-500 per game.

* Does your check include flight, room, food,
car rental? This depends on the conference. Some pay travel/per diem and some do not.

Also...

I notice in College games the person running the clock also has on a referee shirt. Does he get scheduled the game by an assignor or does the school pick him up?

It is actually the official scorer who wears the stripes. It helps us to find him/her when reporting a foul. They are employees of the school.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

local experience

I am not a D1 official, but the Principal of my local elementary school is (Teresa Dahlem). She works both NCAA and WNBA. She was one of the crew at the 1999 Women's NCAA Championship game. She is also a very popular/effective elementary school principal. See

http://www.yourneighborhoodnews.net/...paldahlem.html

She regularly works the Women's College games at the University of Minnesota.