The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Any of you out there suffering from burn out on basketball like I am? I have had a good season, but I think I worked too much. I'm not as excited about my games and I definitely know I'm tired of coaches and fans. Once I get into a game and call the action on the floor, I enjoy it and can focus, but as far as management, I'm just kind of fed up with some people right now. Any veteran tricks to help me get over this (other than toughing out the next couple of weeks)?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a veteran, but I play one on TV

Beer
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Any of you out there suffering from burn out on basketball like I am? I have had a good season, but I think I worked too much. I'm not as excited about my games and I definitely know I'm tired of coaches and fans. Once I get into a game and call the action on the floor, I enjoy it and can focus, but as far as management, I'm just kind of fed up with some people right now. Any veteran tricks to help me get over this (other than toughing out the next couple of weeks)?
My way of handling burnout is to work fewer games.

I work about 30-35 varsity/Juco games a season. I've done one JV game this year and one middle school date (both needed officials bad and good karma is good karma). I've worked 3 days of Saturday morning rec ball.

For ME, that's almost too much. Some people can work 6 nights a week and still enjoy it. You need to find your balance so that you don't get to this point at the most crucial time of the season.

I have nine games left and I'm looking forward to every one.

--Rich
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I've tried beer, but every time I call a foul and stick my fist up, I spill all over the court. Seriously though, thanks for the comments. Looking back, I did take too many games this year. I've been loading up the last couple of years because at camps and when I work in front of assignors, I hear that I do everything well, they would just like me to have more experience. I'm also looking for a regular crew as I just moved to an area that I'm hopefully going to stay for a while. Thanks again.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I think Rich's advice is great. If I'm driving to a game and I'm not excited as heck to get there, it's generally because it's my 5th game in 5 nights (or because my achilles is freakin' killing me). Either way, time to cut back a little.

Z
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you need a good 2 point rivalry game with a packed house and a 2 coaches each with a roll of duct tape over their mouth. I start questioning things when I've had a few tough games in a roll but then it always turns around. I've got a GV tonight with one of the best female players in the state. She's already committed to either Iowa or Iowa State. I've been ready to go since I woke up yesterday.

This is the time of year when your legs and mind get tired and you do have to endure. Remember this next year when you are filling your schedule. Give yourself a break at the beginning of Feb so you can finish strong. For me, I'm currently working 6-7 days per week and I'm loving every minute. My biggest concern is the letdown when the season ends. I worked year round last year and will again this year but cut back to maybe 2 days per week. Already signed up for 4 camps and constantly reviewing my goals.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Getting burnt out!!!

This is my third year in the association. I love reffing boys basketball. I have done 40 to 50 games this year, 10 of those were varsity. I can feal myself really getting burnt out. I think I have done too many games. I have 2 games left and can't wait to be done! I really do love reffing basketball!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:16pm
Esteemed Participant

I found out several years ago that if I take a break in the middle of the season, the end of the season is much more enjoyable...so either the last week of Jan. or the first week of Feb., I usually block off 5 nights or so in a row and just relax - no going to others games, no watching bball on tv...just spend the time with the family doing family stuff...then the last few weeks are much more enjoyable.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I think Rich's advice is great. If I'm driving to a game and I'm not excited as heck to get there, it's generally because it's my 5th game in 5 nights (or because my achilles is freakin' killing me). Either way, time to cut back a little.

Z
Speaking of Achilles's tendons, my right one is KILLING me. Too many games last week, I think. Anyone have a good remedy?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:25pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Junker,
Take three minutes and write a list of why you are doing this thing.
mick
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Speaking of Achilles's tendons, my right one is KILLING me. Too many games last week, I think. Anyone have a good remedy?
Um, beer?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Just relax!!! At the beginning of the year I always sign up to help with 5/6th grade stuff. However, towards the end of the year I usually give them up for two main reasons. One I usually am getting tired as well and two there are usually young/1st officials that didn't get to work many games, so I give the game to them so they can get some work. We've almost made it!! Hang in there, you know two weeks after the season is over you'll be saying "Damn, I'm ready for next year to be here so I can work some basketball!"
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I find myself with the opposite problem. I am bummed the season is over in a couple weeks. Several years ago I was feeling burned out with officiating. It wasn't any fun anymore. So I took a few years off. The other night, I worked with a partner who was feeling burned out. That game was tough to work because his negative energy was apparent. When you feel burned out, consider taking a year off. Let yourself recover mentally and when it's time to come back to the game again, you'll know it. You'll feel that fire again. Since coming back, I've had the best time.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Um, beer?
A remedy that would be useful, ummmm, on the court.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Junker,
I've found that my biggest problem this year has been not knowing who my partner would be. It hasn't been a problem before, but this year I've had some real "opportunities."