The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

You folks have been so helpful in response to my first question several weeks ago, I have another one for you.... Specifically, if a defensive player runs into a legal screen and knocks the screener down or otherwise pushes him or her out of place, can it be a foul?...
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

As long as the screen is set legally, this can be a push.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Can it it be a foul? Yes.

Is it always a foul? No.

If the legal screen is within the visual field of the opponent, the opponent must attempt to avoid contact.

Grabbing and pushing the screener is always a foul. Displacing the screener may be a foul.

If the screen is legal, but not in the visual field (blind screen), displacement is expected and incidental as long as the screened player attempts to avoid the screener after contact is made.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Game management

This can be called a foul. But remember, when the offense set a successful screen. The person with the ball is now past his defender and may have an open shot or even a layup. If you call a foul and stop the offense from completing a play they performed successfully (and the defense did not), you are rewarding the defense.

So, for me to call the foul, based on your description with hard contact running into the screener, the offense play must not be about to attempt the scope. Otherwise, I go up with the foul.

That game management.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: Game management

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
So, for me to call the foul, based on your description with hard contact running into the screener, the offense play must not be about to attempt the scope.
What if they're attempting the listerine?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Game management

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
This can be called a foul. But remember, when the offense set a successful screen. The person with the ball is now past his defender and may have an open shot or even a layup. If you call a foul and stop the offense from completing a play they performed successfully (and the defense did not), you are rewarding the defense.

So, for me to call the foul, based on your description with hard contact running into the screener, the offense play must not be about to attempt the scope. Otherwise, I go up with the foul.

That game management.
Why?

You can call the foul and still have the shot by rule, under continuous motion.