The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I wish, especially at the lower levels, coaches would think about the kind of example the are setting for their kids. Refinator, I can completely understand being frustrated with an official that doesn't work hard or try to improve. I do think, however, that you need to think about the example you are showing your team. I'm sure you've worked enough games to see that players actions often mirror the coach's reactions. Sportsmanship should be #1 on all of our priority lists, especially at the lower levels when they are learning the game. Just food for thought.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

We have a guy like that around here. He'll yell at the umpires from the stands when his kid is playing on one of the two teams even though he is a regular umpire in the league. Last year he even started on the umpires while sitting in his kids' team's dugout.

The best thing you can do as an official is steer as clear as possible, I think.
There was an official that was a long time veteran that I had a run in with several years ago. It was over an AAU game that this official was coaching his son. He got kicked out of the game (I did not throw him out). There was no report I could file (AAU games are not covered in any jurisdiction of any association I am a member of). All I have done is mention to other officials about this official and tell the story. I have found out that many officials do not get along with this guy either and this particular official holds grudges with many officials in our area. Usually this official's grudges are over something that happens on one of his guyÂ’s kids games. It has now become a running joke with folks and me when I have told the story to them. I was scheduled to work with this guy last Friday and he did not want to work with me. The assignor just switched people so we did not have to see each other and everything was great. The assignor asked me about the situation before he made the change and he seemed to understand what this individual is about. Life goes on.

Peace