The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Well our new pool is up and running. As our first high school season comes to a close, thoughts of where to go from here have come up.
Currently we have 11 registered members on our roster and one question that has come up is on how to recruit more members...
In Montana, within the State guidelines is a provision to bring in kids from the high school ranks (Under 18 years of age) as associate members... Their membership fee is half of what regular membership requires.
Along these lines, I would like to know what other pools have done to recruit new members. Have you offered clinics? Have you run ads in the local newpapers? Any comments or ideas are appreciated... Thanks Guys & Ladies!

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:17am
cingram

I'm not in charge of recruiting on my board (we have 80ish members I think).

We run adds in the local paper and advertise in the schools and universities to get members out. We currently don't have enough people coming out to make it competitive (have tryouts) but I know that Toronto does that.

All 1st year members are associate members (1/2 price). If you come back for a second year you are a full member and pay the full fee.

In Kitchener/Waterloo we have meetings every 2 weeks at a local high school. The meeting is broken up between 2 rooms - First and second years (learning the rules and interpretations) and the upper years (going over more complicated sitch's). During the year we offer 2 evaluation clinics. The first and second years work the games for free and upper years shadow them, talking in their ear helping them with positioning and what they are supposed to be doing/looking at. Once the associate members have been evaluated then they can start reffing games (this way we have a general idea of how they'll do in a game).

With such a small number you may just want to start with some clinics. Do some rules, and do some positioning work. Try to get them into a game and have someone shadow them to help with positioning and what they are supposed to look at.

Good luck.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
I'm not in charge of recruiting on my board (we have 80ish members I think).

We run adds in the local paper and advertise in the schools and universities to get members out. We currently don't have enough people coming out to make it competitive (have tryouts) but I know that Toronto does that.

All 1st year members are associate members (1/2 price). If you come back for a second year you are a full member and pay the full fee.

In Kitchener/Waterloo we have meetings every 2 weeks at a local high school. The meeting is broken up between 2 rooms - First and second years (learning the rules and interpretations) and the upper years (going over more complicated sitch's). During the year we offer 2 evaluation clinics. The first and second years work the games for free and upper years shadow them, talking in their ear helping them with positioning and what they are supposed to be doing/looking at. Once the associate members have been evaluated then they can start reffing games (this way we have a general idea of how they'll do in a game).

With such a small number you may just want to start with some clinics. Do some rules, and do some positioning work. Try to get them into a game and have someone shadow them to help with positioning and what they are supposed to look at.

Good luck.
Christina -- you can't just sneak in here after several weeks' absence and act like nothing has happened. News, lady! We want news!!