The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

This is not the same game as the disgusting thing the coach did game. This was the other semi-final.

A little backround info.

Last year early December, I was doing a few rec-league games with my father. We did a good job until the last game, and this one coach just wouldn't shut up, he was T'd up, ejected and eventually the game was forfeited. I can honestly say I felt like crap after that game, but that doesn't compare to what happened tonight.

My Dad was origionally scheduled to do some novice (grades 4-5) games tonight, but he popped his calf muscle so he hobbled through his V and JV games today and got me to do his last 2 games. And this coach was coaching for the first one.

He picks me up from the games that I was scheduled to do, and drives me to the gym which is a good 30 minutes away.

Now just to interject a bit of info about this age level. They play with these stupid rules.

http://www.oabo.org/Rule%20Changes/B...personRule.pdf

Now my association still hasn't discussed any of this with us so naturally every officials has his or her own interpretation of the rule and how their going to enforce it.

I tell the coaches during my pregame talk with them that I'm going to try and talk the kids out of a zone or double team situation but if they start to take advantage of the situation, I will enforce the penalties.

So now back to the game,

It's winding down to the tip-off and still no partner. Fortunately my father who drove me was in the stands, so I got him to ref with me. Because of his legs we weren't doing any switiching, but he still did an awesome job of being in position.

Now every time team A beat there defender, the defender would yell for help. This usually resulted in at least 2 other defenders picking up the ball carrier. Which is illegal under these new rules. I tell them to move off the ball carrier, I mention it again and again, until the point where it's putting team A at a severe disadvantage. So I call the warning. As I'm reporting the warning the coach is not happy. Now we continue with the game, but team B is still double teaming in that situation. I try to talk them out of it but they're still not listening. So, I call the T for double teaming. As I report the T, his assistant says, "This is what happens every time you guys do our games" My dad whacks him, now the head coach has 2 indirects.

We continue on, then as I'm going by the bench of this coach, his other assistant (he's got 4 of them, I still don't understand why at this level you need more than 1) says, "Come on ref, call the holding, aren't you gonna make a call out there" I whack him, and inform the HC he's been ejected.

So that's it, the last coach learned from his mistake, this one obviously didn't. But now I've got to write the report to my assignor, and that's not going to be an easy task.

[Edited by ref18 on Feb 5th, 2005 at 10:21 PM]
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Some people just never learn...
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

So much for 30 games.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to get technical. , I've gone 30 games without a direct T on the head coach.

But seriously, I'm not proud of what happened tonight.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I've gotten 3 in my last 8 games, one youth coach, a boys freshman coach, and a varsity coach all 3 were at the scores table yelling at my partner.

The varsity coach could not believe he did not get a warning, the freshman coach said, "You've been wanting to do that all game," and the youth coach apologized.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

wow...long post

You're not studying to be a lawyer, are ya?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: wow...long post

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Actually that is one of my 2 choices for a career
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 03:37am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: wow...long post

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Actually that is one of my 2 choices for a career
What's your other choice? Incurable foot fungus?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hopefully as Director of Basketball Ontario.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
If you want to get technical. , I've gone 30 games without a direct T on the head coach.

But seriously, I'm not proud of what happened tonight.
A good official is never gleeful at having to T somebody. But they didn't leave you much choice. Chalk it up to idiocy and move on. Life is too short to fret over stupid coach tricks.