The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Last night, Freshmen girls', close game, but only because one team wasn't hitting shots. Red (leading) was clearly better, but just having a bad night in the percentages. Last minute and a half, White (losing) started fouling to get the ball back. Partner missed the first tap, and the second, so the third was a body blast. Partner got that one. Then we got the next couple. Red was hitting their free throws, White was turning the ball over. At 35 seconds, Red leading by 8, White scores, Red takes the ball out, throws it in. Red drives up the sideline, White isn't as fast, reaches out to foul, and slaps the dribbler's upper arm good and hard. No chance to play the ball, I called an intentional. Whining from the coach, but then the game goes on. Red gets the ball out, throws it in, the "receiver" breaks for the basket, White grabs the back of the jersey and holds on. I called intentional again. Coach goes postal, oh, no wait.... coach has an aneurysm.

Last night, when I was brushing my teeth, I noticed that each forearm has a little bruise, right where they met in the "X". Wow. I guess I need to tone down my signals a little.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Last night, Freshmen girls', close game, but only because one team wasn't hitting shots. Red (leading) was clearly better, but just having a bad night in the percentages. Last minute and a half, White (losing) started fouling to get the ball back. Partner missed the first tap, and the second, so the third was a body blast. Partner got that one. Then we got the next couple. Red was hitting their free throws, White was turning the ball over. At 35 seconds, Red leading by 8, White scores, Red takes the ball out, throws it in. Red drives up the sideline, White isn't as fast, reaches out to foul, and slaps the dribbler's upper arm good and hard. No chance to play the ball, I called an intentional. Whining from the coach, but then the game goes on. Red gets the ball out, throws it in, the "receiver" breaks for the basket, White grabs the back of the jersey and holds on. I called intentional again. Coach goes postal, oh, no wait.... coach has an aneurysm.

Last night, when I was brushing my teeth, I noticed that each forearm has a little bruise, right where they met in the "X". Wow. I guess I need to tone down my signals a little.
Sounds beautiful, Juulie. That's exactly the way Howard said it should be called the other night. I think those end of the game intentionals need to be called with the same vigor as a PC call - no hesitation - sell it, baby! Feel proud of your bruises.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Yer right!
You need to practice the "Ho,Hum" X like you have done the "Ho,Hum" T
mick

We're professional, not emotional.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Clearly you're bringing one arm down into the other arm that's going up (if that makes sense), causing the bruising. You can "sell" your call without the risk of snapping a bone if you move both arms up into the X over your head together. You might try to practice that.

That said, my advice to you is to take Mick's advice. No need to over-call these IMO.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Great job Juulie, I whole-heartedly applaud you calling the "X". Not done enough in these situations IMHO.

Mick's right though, don't hurt yourself in the process.....deliver it calmly & clearly!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Why did I think of Eric Cartman when I read the title of this thread?

Respect my AUTHORITAY!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

"Atta-Girl"....Rainmaker!

Those little bruises are your 'Red Badges' of Courage. (...or purple....black & blue....brownish/yellow...whatever bruising stage they're in.)

It does take courage to make the intentional foul call.

Good job!!!!!!

wl
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

The "X" is IMO the easiest late in the game.

Are they going for the ball or not? Pretty simple.

Grabbing a shirt from a run-away player? ..... X all the way.

You'll also hear a lot of "Foul them Foul them" coming from the bench just before the call.

Ask yourself - If coach is calling his players to foul, how is that NOT intentional?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I had the exact thing my first varsity game...kid on the floor kicks at another player in the first half..I bang hard with the intentional and a few days later I'm wondering about this 3 inch long bruise on my forearm...couldn't figure it out until the next game when I was telling another ref the story and it hurt when I mimicked the intentional signal, that's when I realized I was entirely too emotional about the call, lol.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
You'll also hear a lot of "Foul them Foul them" coming from the bench just before the call.

Ask yourself - If coach is calling his players to foul, how is that NOT intentional?
Ref Daddy,
When the rule was clarified, I made an "X" or two based upon the coach.
I have refined my call to using the players' actions as the *stand alone* facts of my determination based upon:
  • Not all players listen to coach
  • Not all players hear coach
  • Some players actually make legit attempts at ball, regardless of coach.
    mick