The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I am concerned about a few individuals that are coaching and teaching the youth in my state and area. I have seen a couple of examples of sportsmanship and role modeling that quite frankly are very alarming, in my opinion. Let me tell you about one situation. At the end of a boys varsity basketball game we were headed off the court and the head coach of this team shouted "I hope you can sleep tonight because you just f***ed my boys tonight". "You just f***ed my boys". This was said out on the court in front of both team's players and coaches and fans and whomever else was attending the contest. Now, I feel like we called a very fair ball game, of course that is only my perspective, I understand that. My frustration is that I have young kids that will play sports someday and I WOULD NOT want them to play for someone with those types of values. I am so surprised and concerned that a community would allow this FOR THEIR KIDS.

Thank you for your comments,

shont
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Angry

You're surprised the the community allows it? You allowed it! You should have immediately assessed a flagrant technical foul and ejected the coach.

If you didn't, why not?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

2005 POI:
C. Inappropriate language. The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship.

The team huddle is not a safe haven for coaches' bad language. Players are not permitted to "let off steam" by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official. Being angry at oneself is no excuse. Officials are not exempt either. Inappropriate references to players or coaches are not acceptable. Game administrators must also pay particular attention to fans. A game ticket is not a license to abuse.

Do your kids and community a favor,approach your state/local association and write this up. It is your responsibility.

If coach also teach's a class at that HSchool - what would he do with such language in the class or hallway? I'll be hisfile already has similiar reports.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

IT was at the end of the game. I don't appreciate you trying to blame the coaches poor sportsmanship on me either!
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you ref daddy. I like what you are saying. We are going to report this to our state association, and yes I have since found out that he does have a past history with this sort of behavior. Once again, IMHO, I don't want someone with those values working with MY kids.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Hmm...

Last night my home school played a school for a district game. This team we played was 3-0 for district and was the only school around here who had won all 3 games. From the tip-off to the end of the game the coach used the F word atleast 10 times. When they would loose the ball he would punch the chair, the fans were hollaring like they were itiots. The officiating was great (and Im not saying this because we won) but I guess some people just cant stand to loose.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by shont
IT was at the end of the game. I don't appreciate you trying to blame the coaches poor sportsmanship on me either!
It makes no difference whether it's the end of the game or not. Your jurisdiction does not end until you leave the "visual confines of the playing area." The purpose of this rule is to allow you to handle situations such as this. Do you not realize this rule exists?

You and your partner(s) should have immediately stopped, went to the scorer and told him/her to record that the head coach had received a flagrant technical foul and is ejected. Then, you file a report with your assignor/state association or whoever and document the coach's behavior.

You can be offended all you want but if you're good enough to accept a varsity assignment, you should know what to do in a situation such as this.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you basketball ref. We are in the process of handling this situation.

shont
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by shont
It makes no difference whether it's the end of the game or not. Your jurisdiction does not end until you leave the "visual confines of the playing area." The purpose of this rule is to allow you to handle situations such as this. Do you not realize this rule exists?

You and your partner(s) should have immediately stopped, went to the scorer and told him/her to record that the head coach had received a flagrant technical foul and is ejected. Then, you file a report with your assignor/state association or whoever and document the coach's behavior.

You can be offended all you want but if you're good enough to accept a varsity assignment, you should know what to do in a situation such as this.
I hate to tell you this shont...well, maybe I don't hate to tell you...but, BBR is absolutely correct.

This, almost exact, situation happened to a fellow official and friend of mine a couple weeks ago. Not to mention any names but he posts here once in a while.

As he was leaving the court...the losing Varsity coach comes up to him and grabs his arm saying, "YOU F***** US"!!!
Boom...Flagrant T...official went to book and logged it...called his assignor after the game...and the coach had to sit out his next Varsity game. Good job on my buddy's part!
(Not sure what the state is doing about it now)

So yes...shont...you have the power to stop this behavior, at least while you are within the visual confines of the court...game over or not.

BTW, I am not blaming you for the coach's bad behavior...and I didn't blame my friend...although I did have a suggestion to get thehell outta there so he might not be as likely to have this type of situation come up.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you rookie dude for the advice. I appreciate it.

shont
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
BTW, I am not blaming you for the coach's bad behavior...
Exactly. I'm not blaming you for the coach's behavior either.

But when you don't take care of business, you become part of the problem. There were probably people at the game who thought or said, "That coach cussed those refs out and they didn't do a thing."

My association has had two similiar situations, where the coach went nuts after the game. To their credit, officials in both games ejected the coach. Both were suspended for two games.

Perhaps this was the first time you've ever had this happen. But you've got to be prepared for the unexpected, know the rule and how to apply it, no matter the situation.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

This Happen To Me...

Sounds like something out of an Outdoor Life magazine, huh? Anyway, California about 11 years ago.... My partner makes a call on a player that stepped on the OOB line. The coach comes onto the court to complain and I "T'd" him. He turned to me and said "F*** you" right in front of his bench and loud enough that most of his fan section heard him. I calmly gave him his 2nd "T" and told him that he could wait outside for the game to end. And he did with no further incident.
I filed my Letter of Ejection and the coach sat out the required number of games. What also came from it was that I was no longer permitted to referee at that school for almost 3 years in basketball... An official is a contractor was the reason cited... It was fine... And yet it was disappointing at the same time...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 01:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: This Happen To Me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Sounds like something out of an Outdoor Life magazine, huh? Anyway, California about 11 years ago.... My partner makes a call on a player that stepped on the OOB line. The coach comes onto the court to complain and I "T'd" him. He turned to me and said "F*** you" right in front of his bench and loud enough that most of his fan section heard him. I calmly gave him his 2nd "T" and told him that he could wait outside for the game to end. And he did with no further incident.
I filed my Letter of Ejection and the coach sat out the required number of games. What also came from it was that I was no longer permitted to referee at that school for almost 3 years in basketball... An official is a contractor was the reason cited... It was fine... And yet it was disappointing at the same time...
Getting scratched from a school like that would be a pleasure. There are more schools out there than I could possibly work, anyway.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just Curious,

I smell what your stepping in!!! The same thing happened to me a few years back. Emotion charged game, goes to overtime, I call an intentional foul on the home squad for pushing a kid in the back with a clear bunny from the low block. End of game after two free throws and the ball. After the game on our way to the dressing room, we have to walk the same direction as the home team. We are waiting to be admitted to the room when the B squad coach comes to us and says "no matter what the head coach says, I think you called a great game". I should have taken that as a warning but thought nothing of it. Then the head coach comes by and shakes our hands and says "good game...you'll never work another f*****g game here again!" I couldn't believe what I had just heard. So I told my partner, "I guess we'll be filing an incident report tonight." I got a call from the A.D. the next morning asking me what happened. I told him and that was it. No apology from the coach or school. I just have never worked another f*****g game there since. Very bush league and I don't care if I work there or not.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

bktballref I have seen you say before, "Get off the court immediatly after the game or you are asking trouble." Yet now you are saying that you should stay, T a coach up, go to the book and record it. I completely agree with the logic as I would eject him on a flagarant T as well. But, I have seen you say that before, and this suggestion seems to be at odds with that. Is it "do not leave the court if your ego is threatened?" Ha, I mean no offense, but I don't get the contradiction that you will say doesnt' exist?