The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hi all,
First off, let me say this place is great, and I've already learned a lot and love the discussion and wealth of information here.

My question is this. I USED to spread my arms to indicate there was no closely guarded count, because I was told not to do that by a varsity official. ANOTHER varsity official told me TO do it, and that it's helpful in those "grey areas," of whether or not its within 6-feet.

After much thought, I believe that I shouldn't do it anymore. If I'm not counting, then there's no closely guarded situation. Is that right? Thanks again all,
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeahawkSanders
Hi all,
First off, let me say this place is great, and I've already learned a lot and love the discussion and wealth of information here.

My question is this. I USED to spread my arms to indicate there was no closely guarded count, because I was told not to do that by a varsity official. ANOTHER varsity official told me TO do it, and that it's helpful in those "grey areas," of whether or not its within 6-feet.

After much thought, I believe that I shouldn't do it anymore. If I'm not counting, then there's no closely guarded situation. Is that right? Thanks again all,
Yes, that's right. There's no such HS mechanic. That's an NCAA mechanic.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about the HS mechanic but just to clarify the NCAA mechanic you do not indicate if you have not started a count. The fact you are not counting indicates they are not closely guarded. You will see people use the spread arms after they have started a count to indicate the player is no longer closely guarded. This is the proper mechanic.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone think this'll make it into NFHS mechanics within the next set of rule changes??
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You might want to ask your state association (if you have one)
what you are expected to do. We are required to do it by the state board of the association of the state I am in (which isn't Ohio).
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I find it useful once or twice a season, but I sure don't make a habit of it. The time I use it is when there's a direct question about the sitch.

Coach: Isn't that five yet?

Me: (signal with arms)

Coach: Ashley, step up!! Step up!!

I know it's not official, but it has it's uses. Just like the kick signal did before this year.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

We were told at the rules interpretation meeting not to use it because it is an NCAA mechanic, not NFHS. I'll admit I do use it once in a while if there is a long dead period where the defender is standing farther than 6 feet away staring at the man with the ball. Sometimes it helps let people know what's happening at that moment, and like in Juulie's ilustration it can spark some action. Personally, I would like to see it added. I think is helps communicate.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:15am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Anyone think this'll make it into NFHS mechanics within the next set of rule changes??
I wouldn't mind seeing it added. Doubt it will make it though.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I know it's not in the Fed manual, but I've used a coupla times this season. Especially when there is a closely guarded situation, then not, then I have a feeling it's going to start again. I know the switching of the arms means a new count, and I always do that, but how many coaches know that. The simple little not closely guarded signal conveys alot of information to a coach and the players.

But remember folks: I'm not looking to do college ball, so when in Rome...

Should the mechanic trickle down into Fed, I would not complain, and yes I would still switch arms for a new count.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Two years ago we did, last year we didn't, this year we are again...all on the word of the state assn'.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:01am
Do not give a damn!!

We were told not to do that mechanic, so you do not see it. I would just listen to your local people. Like I said in another thread, it is all about the playoffs. If doing a mechanic is going to prevent you from further advancement, I would suggest that you do not use it. If no one cares, use whatever mechanic you feel helps you on the court.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I use it when it's needed.

I know it's not a NF mech but this has stayed off the radar in our state and assoc meetings so until they make a big deal of it, I'll keep using it. I think it's a good mechanic.

I like the guys who stand there with their arms spread until the count goes on or until the ball is passed! Now that cracks me up.

I also use the punch occaisonally for a charge and I sometimes dont raise my hand on an OOB, I just point!

Larks - NF Rebel!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I try to just use NFHS mechanics. The spread arms signal isn't one of them.

Z
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

You might want to ask your state association (if you have one)
what you are expected to do. We are required to do it by the state board of the association of the state I am in (which isn't Ohio).
At the VA state clinic, we were told specifically not to do this. The reason given is if they are closely guarded, you should have a count. No count = not closely guarded.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
We were told not to do that mechanic, so you do not see it. I would just listen to your local people. Like I said in another thread, it is all about the playoffs.
JRut, you know I love ya, so I'm not flaming you or anything (and maybe this is a separate thread), but why is it all about the playoffs?

I thought it was about the kids.

Now it can certainly be partially about the playoffs. I understand completely that there are officials for whom advancement is the main goal, and that's fine. Far be it for me and my 28 games ever to tell someone why they should or shouldn't officiate, but I've met plenty of officials for whom getting playoff games isn't the be all and end all and doesn't determine their feelings of self-worth as an official.

I know, you should always strive to be the best you can be, and have goals and all that. I just can't agree that it's all about getting playoff games.

If you're taught the "right" (subjective term) way to do something, you should do it because it's the right thing to do, not because the people who determine whether or not you get to call yourself a "playoff official" are watching and will mark you down if you don't - that's just my way of thinking. Your mileage may vary.

Again, JRut, I'm not coming down on you or trying to start something - your reasons and goals for officiating are yours and are shared by many, no doubt. But I'm sure there are others who don't chase that Holy Grail, and for whom just doing the best they can and trying to get it right is reward enough. I wouldn't call those people lazy no-accounts anymore than I'd call others playoff-chasers.

As for that mechanic (or non-mechanic), I've seen it once or twice (once recently), but it seems easier to me that if you're not counting, there's no closely-guarded situation. If doing the "Tember, his arms wide" bit is what the coaches need to see for them to be confident that you actually know Rule 4-10, that's their problem, not yours.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.