The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 19, 1999, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am lead watching the defense coming down the floor, B1 sets up in a legal guarding position under the basket. A1 drives in the lane, shoots the ball (basket goes in), and initiates contact with B1. I call a player control, wipe off the basket, and go merrily on my way. This was a high school game, mind you. Coach A goes billistic saying the defender was set up "too far" under the goal. I make the comment that in high school it doesn't matter. He rebuttles that other official don't call it that way, why should I. Thoughts

------------------
Mr. Kelly Spann
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 12:00am
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Spann on 12-19-1999 10:24 PM
Coach A goes billistic saying the defender was set up "too far" under the goal. I make the comment that in high school it doesn't matter. He rebuttles that other official don't call it that way, why should I. Thoughts

First of all, you absolutely made the correct call. If the NF doesn't want us to make it that way, let them say so.

As to the coach's comment - you can always say that you're not responsible for anyone else's calls. In fact, maybe you should tell the coach that next time he has those "other refs", he should ask them why they don't call it correctly
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

If the player was actually under the basket, this should be a no call. I'd let it go.
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster on 12-20-1999 12:15 AM
If the player was actually under the basket, this should be a no call. I'd let it go.

Only if you choose to ignore case 10.6.1D.

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

When the coach made the comment that 'other' officials do not call it, it tells me one of three things: 1. he/she is lying. 2. he/she has had inexperienced officials. 3. he/she has had NCAA officials working their games. Absolutely, in HS, you have to make that call or suffer the consequences later in the game.