The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 05:34pm
9 times

I got a call from one of my assignors today that I have been blackballed from a previously assigned game by the coach. He is a D1 independant and has been working with a pool of 12 officials. That pool has dwindled to 2 because he gets mad if you won't give him "Home Town" calls. He has told several officials that they won't be back because they haven't called the game to his liking. Obviously, I didn't cheat for him either because I cant come back.

I can hardly believe he can get a job at that level with those expectations. At least my assignor has stood up to him and told him we won't work for him ever again.

Wow.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I got a call from one of my assignors today that I have been blackballed from a previously assigned game by the coach. He is a D1 independant and has been working with a pool of 12 officials. That pool has dwindled to 2 because he gets mad if you won't give him "Home Town" calls. He has told several officials that they won't be back because they haven't called the game to his liking. Obviously, I didn't cheat for him either because I cant come back.

I can hardly believe he can get a job at that level with those expectations. At least my assignor has stood up to him and told him we won't work for him ever again.

Wow.
I have always said that if coaches can have input to officials ratings (and blackballing), officials should get input to coaches ratings (and hire/fire).

Z
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

So Cal is no longer assigning that school?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Screw'em. I'd send whomever I wanted to. What's he gonna do, refuse to play the game?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Screw'em. I'd send whomever I wanted to. What's he gonna do, refuse to play the game?
Exactly!
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Stripes,

If you have not been blackballed from somewhere, you have not been working long enough. This is part of the territory. Many assignors are not going to send you to a bad situation. So just accepted it and thank God you do not have to go back. This coach will probably be fired in a few years or quit and you will go right back to that school. Or you will see him on the road and your assignor will have no say in that game. Consider it a blessing.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches shouldn't have any say in which official goes where.

Is any ref that has done his games where he lost welcome back there??
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Stripes,

If you have not been blackballed from somewhere, you have not been working long enough. This is part of the territory. Many assignors are not going to send you to a bad situation. So just accepted it and thank God you do not have to go back. This coach will probably be fired in a few years or quit and you will go right back to that school. Or you will see him on the road and your assignor will have no say in that game. Consider it a blessing.

Peace
Actually...I like to get back to that school as soon as possible. Maybe not the next night...but sometime during the regular season.
I want to redeem myself from a crappy game. You know you can do better...so prove it the next oportunity you get with this coach and school.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Actually...I like to get back to that school as soon as possible. Maybe not the next night...but sometime during the regular season.
I want to redeem myself from a crappy game. You know you can do better...so prove it the next oportunity you get with this coach and school.
It is not about having a bad game. Familiarity breeds contempt. I usually like to see a team no more than twice a year. Once on the road, once at home is as much as I want to see any coach. It usually does not work out that way all the time. It does not matter if you have a good game or not. If I have a great game, I still would rather not see the coach again. Depending on the coach, they might have one and he was riding you all night or questioning some calls. It is harder for the coach to remember that much about a game if they see me only once. When they constantly see me (or my crew) it just brings more contention.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

It is not about having a bad game. Familiarity breeds contempt. I usually like to see a team no more than twice a year. Once on the road, once at home is as much as I want to see any coach. It usually does not work out that way all the time. It does not matter if you have a good game or not. If I have a great game, I still would rather not see the coach again. Depending on the coach, they might have one and he was riding you all night or questioning some calls. It is harder for the coach to remember that much about a game if they see me only once. When they constantly see me (or my crew) it just brings more contention.

Peace
I don't think there is anything you just said that I disagree with.
What I am saying is...that I want the oportunity to see that coach again if it is perceived that I screwed the game up.
I want to redeem myself.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I don't think there is anything you just said that I disagree with.
What I am saying is...that I want the oportunity to see that coach again if it is perceived that I screwed the game up.
I want to redeem myself.
This is really all about personal feelings. I just do not care what a coach thinks in the long run. If he does not appreciate my answers to his questions or my hustle on the floor, then I do not want to go back and see them again. Not a big deal, if I see a coach again I will just have to deal with it. This year I will see two coaches three times. It just worked out that way. One of the coaches is a great individual and hardly complains. Another coach is a jerk and thinks he can intimidate me. This all comes with the job.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:14pm
9 times

BITS, Cal will not assign the games after this year. BTW, did you hear I'm moving back?

For everyone else, this place is totally screwed up because the coach has so much say in what occurs there. Blackballing may be a right of passage where you are Jeff, but it has never happened in my neck of the woods. I'm not upset about it, I'm amazed by it. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

The coach is a major league @$...le. I don't miss working for him. He would most likely not play the game with officials he didn't want and, being an independant, there is no league to punish him. The AD obviously has no backbone (or thinks the coach is within his right to do this) or he would put a stop to it.

Life definitely goes on.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
For everyone else, this place is totally screwed up because the coach has so much say in what occurs there. Blackballing may be a right of passage where you are Jeff, but it has never happened in my neck of the woods. I'm not upset about it, I'm amazed by it. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying to you. I never said it was necessarily a common practice. I stated that it happens. It happens even if you are unaware of it. I am sure most assignors do not even tell most officials that this even happens. In my area it seems kind of rare. Many assignors could give a damn what the coaches think. I had a coach this year that was really upset with me. I worked two games for this coach in less than a week. I was assigned each game from two different assignors. Well after the second game, the assignor weeks later saw me and wondered what was up with me and that coach. I told him the story. I even told him he had me going back later in the year. This assignor was pleased that I was going back and life moved on.

Now this particular assignor decided to tell me or have a conversation with me. I know there are other situations where no one even knows a coach had a conversation with an assignor. The assignor might not just send you back anytime soon. I am sure it happens all over the country, you just do not know when it happens. Maybe you do not see a coach for a couple of years or you do not work certain games, but do not tell me the assignors do not at all consider things coaches tell them. It may not be the main reason and many coaches might have to show some tape to back up there complaints. I just doubt that many assignors go into detail. Just like assignors might listen to other officials and certain coaches more than others.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Stripes,

I did a preseason scrimmage for this coach. What a joke. You should consider yourself lucky not to have to work in front of him again. The fact that there are only two officials left that he will deal with says it all. I know its hard to loose a D1 assignment, but this might be a break for you.

I'm not sure the AD has any idea about what is going on. He's a neighbor, and we've spoken a time or two about his program, but he's not mentioned the problem of officials to me.

I have a good working relationship with the assignor. He hasn't mentioned any problems on the women's side. However, I'm not sure he assigns them. Can't see why he wouldn't.

I've had the privledge to see you officiate a couple of times. Your good! Keep working hard and another break will come your way.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Stripes

Glad you are moving back.
I think I have heard about this school... Is it the other school in the south and not SUU?

They need to get into a conference bad.

I do know the administrative vice pres there pretty well, maybe he needs a chat about the antics