The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

This approach to assigning cracks me up.

We don't have issues like that here in Ontario.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Our HS association allows a coach to mark off three officials a year.

Earlier this year, a coach marked off my entire crew after getting blown. My partner whacked him early in the first. Between quarters, I warned him that if he didn't calm his wife down, who was screamingly madly at us, that I would have security remove here. Then my second partner popped the asst. coach late in the game.

Quite honestly, I couldn't care less. The guy is a hot head and his school is a 90 minute drive, one way from my house. "Coach, don't misspell my name when you send the form in."
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quite honestly, I couldn't care less. The guy is a hot head and his school is a 90 minute drive, one way from my house. "Coach, don't misspell my name when you send the form in."
Now that is what I am talkin bout!!!

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Now that is what I am talkin bout!!!

Peace
I once had a coach tell me "this is going to cost you a school." Normally this is a flagrant technical, IMO, but since his school was 105 miles from my house I (instead) had to stifle a giggle. G'head, coach. Do what you need to do.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

If this coach is such a jerk and everyone knows it, maybe the officials should get together and refuse to work any home games at his school period .... sorry, I've got a conflict that night.....

What would he do then?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
If this coach is such a jerk and everyone knows it, maybe the officials should get together and refuse to work any home games at his school period .... sorry, I've got a conflict that night.....

What would he do then?
That really is my point. I consider myself a rather good and competent official. If you do not want me, do not complain when you get the guys that do not hustle, call the game without consistency and do not follow the rules. I know I am not perfect, but I am going to give my best effort. If that is not good enough, then hire someone else. Then do not complain when the game is screwed up by a call and your team loses as a result (at least in their mind).

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

In Rookie Dude's area coaches rate. Good reason too go back and do better.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Ref
Hey Redneck Randy...how ya doing?

That's to bad we didn't get to work together this year.
We'll have to have a little chat with the assignor before next year's schedule comes out.

Good luck with your game tonight...oh and 12 team against a oh and 9, or something like that?...whew! Well, somebody's got to get a win.

Looking forward to tonight. 1st place against 2nd place at 2nd place's house. Meet you at Applebee's after the game.
(BTW...Wayne and I didn't catch a thing today...should have worked, it was windy and cold on the ol' Columbia River)

Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Ref
Do better? You make it sound as though just because the coach rates/blackballs the official did something "wrong" in the first place.

I've had an interesting week and the one thing I'm reminded of it that some coaches are jerks no matter what you do. It all evens itself out in the end.

Do better? Some coaches just need to be scratched themselves.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Our state association has a rule in place where each school can 'scratch' up to 10% of the local membership of the association which they've contracted with to call their games. Some schools use their entire allotment of scratches while others scratch none.

We, as officials, also have the option to scratch ourselves from schools that we don't wish to call.

The amazing thing is an official might have worked several games over a several year span for a respective coach and never had a problem in any game. Then, because of one call the respective coach disagrees with, or being given a T, etc. in crunch time of a county tournament (or other highly emotional tournament or big area/region game), the respective coach will scratch this official the following year.

What's the old saying, "It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation and 5 seconds to destroy it"??? Same in officiating as in life.