The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I flipped over and saw some of the Duke game and when i did they were viewing a loose ball scramble on the video monitor with over 5 minutes left to see if a punch was thrown. I don't know the rules for NCAA I thought I saw on here earlier that you can't view the screen except for last second shots. Could someone please explain.

Thanks
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

I've seen them use the screen to review a fight. I thought Ewing threw a little elbow in the scrum. Don't know why Chris Paul got the T. I guess they were trying to be balanced.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I've seen them use the screen to review a fight. I thought Ewing threw a little elbow in the scrum. Don't know why Chris Paul got the T. I guess they were trying to be balanced.
The technicals were for the vereiage, not the contact. Paul can run his mouth with the best of them.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

BR-160 APPENDIX III OFFICIATING GUIDELINES
Section 6. Use of Replay Television Equipment

4. Determine if a fight occurred, the individuals who participated and bench personnel who left the bench area.

That's the exact clip from the rules book.

Now, the punctuation could be better because it seems unclear whether this is a monitor situation or not. Does the rule mean that you can go to the monitor to determine 1. IF A FIGHT OCCURRED 2. the individuals who participated, and 3. the bench personnel who left the bench OR does it mean if a fight occurred (a judgement that they have to make on their own) the officials can then use the monitor to determine 1. the individuals who participated, and 2. who left the benches.
Without better punctuation and sentence structure, I can't tell.
I do know that the NCAA has been cracking down on monitor use though.
It even issued a bulletin that said:

Officials shall not use a courtside monitor or courtside video tape for judgment calls such as:
a. Who committed a foul.
b. Basket interference.
c. Goal tending.
d. The release of the ball before the activation of the red light or red lights (Exception:
Rule 2-5.2.a & .b)
e. The release of the ball before the sounding of the shot clock horn (Exception: Rule 2-5.2.c&.d).
Note: Some officials seem to be developing a dependency on the use of the monitor when it is not permissible by the rules. When dealing with the human factor, mistakes are made. Human judgment is an important element of the game. To “err is human,” and a fear of committing a mistake should not foster an illegal dependency.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Could this be a new POE for NCAA officials? I've seen three occasions this season where the monitor was used to determine whether a punch was thrown. The first was a Big East game, I think. After a long review delay - several minutes - they ejected the player.

- Catherine Aird